View Single Post
Old 18-02-2006, 00:49   #1
smith2001
Inactive

smith2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Wireless network question

hi all, just a question over a wireless network i have

i have a netgear ME 102, its a 802.11b one and i have 2 USB stick 11mbps wireless pen's for my PC and my house mates. now i am having problems with speed and the IP distribution.

firstly the speed, can the signal strengh matter to the speed i receive off the ntl modem i have plugged into it?
its normally at 50% signal strength and 100% Link quality. and i am not getting my share of 130kb/sec ntl can do with 1mb just around 80kb/sec max.

the second point is, i have at the moment only got my PC connected to the wireless router which in turn is plugged into the ntl modem. i have been assigned the ntl IP that the modem has at current a 82.xxx.xxx.xxx, i am abit confused at this as i thought the router would assign me something in its range, of 192.168.100.2 etc

now i am wondering if this will change once another user (no 1 has a pc currently except me so cannot test it until sunday) connects to the wireless router and thus cannot assign us both the ntl IP on the same network. however i am none the wiser, has anyone got experience with this?

thanks all for reading my post

cheers
smith2001 is offline   Reply With Quote