View Single Post
Old 12-02-2006, 07:33   #1
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Question Wireless Security Questions

Hi - just been out and bought myself a new wireless router from PC World (Linksys WRT54GS-UK). I previously had an Actiontec router with the NTL version software.
I have two laptops running Windows XP, both fully updated.
One laptop has the options under the wireless properties - Network Authentication of Open, Shared, WPA, and WPA-PSK. The second laptop only has the option of Open or Shared, which means I can't use WPA encryption.
Secondly, this laptop can see the network, as it appears in the list, but cannot connect - and that is even on an unsecured network with no encryption. Incidentally, I'm using the Actiontec USB Wireless adaptor for this laptop.
As a workaround - I've put the Actiontec router in one of the spare wired ports of the Linsys router, and it means I have two networks for two laptops. It works, but it's a bit clumsy.
Anyone have any ideas why the laptop can see but not connect to the Linksys router?
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote