View Single Post
Old 31-07-2005, 12:02   #6
LUCAS123
Inactive

LUCAS123 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: 2 PC, 1 USB and Ethernet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raistlin
It should do. You will need to reboot the modem once you've got it all connected but there shouldn't be too many problems so long as you use a reasonable quality cable.

Another option you could consider would be to attach a wireless router to your Stand Alone Cable Modem (SACM - Silver NTL Box) and then put a wireless card in the PC. Should be able to get the lot for about £50 and you wouldn't have to run cables all over the house.

The added bonus with that setup is that if you get another wireless device in the future (laptop/PDA) it will be able to share your connection without too much fiddling.

Say the downstairs PC was shut down, would the upstairs Internet connection be stop as well?

<Edit: Read the next couple of posts.....looks like I need more sleep >

I'm assuming that the OP only wants one PC connected, and that that PC will be upstairs while the modem remains downstairs.

Although, having read the title of the thread again (I am such a ).....

The answer is no, as Scottsw says, you cannot have USB and Ethernet running on the same SACM.

If you want to share your modem connection between two PCs you will need a router or ICS will need to be enabled on the downstairs machine and it will need to be left on all the time while the upstairs machine is using the Internet.
Say the downstairs PC was shut down, would the upstairs Internet connection be stop as well?
LUCAS123 is offline   Reply With Quote