View Single Post
Old 11-03-2005, 21:16   #16
Alan Waddington
Inactive

Alan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about themAlan Waddington has a spectacular aura about them
Re: A Linksys BEFSR41 router problem.

Note that you should be able to access the router, whether the modem is plugged in or not. You need to troubleshoot the computer-router connection first.

Are you getting a light on the router corresponding to one of the LAN ports. If not, then you have a connection problem, either by using a crossover cable (unlikely), or by plugging into the uplink port (quite likely) I think only the older models had a separate uplink port. I think the later ones might have a changeover switch (too lay to check).

If you are getting a lamp lit on the router and when you try to access the router home page, you get a dialog for username and password, then the router is working. If the password doesn't work, it is possible that the password has been changed (if router is secondhand for instance).

A hard reset supposedly resets the password, but didn't on my old v.2 router, when it got into problems. I now have a v.3 router which worked straight out of the box.

Remember that the router will have a different MAC address than the computer, so to get the modem router and modem all to play, u need to switch them all off, then switch them on in the order: modem, router, computer, allowing time for each to initialise before switching the next one on.

I'm out of ideas

Alan
Alan Waddington is offline   Reply With Quote