View Single Post
Old 21-03-2024, 18:55   #8039
Hugh
laeva recumbens anguis
Cable Forum Team

Services: Premiere Collection
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Hugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden auraHugh has a golden aura
Re: Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

HMRC!!!!

Just received a letter, stating I owed them a reasonable sum in unpaid tax for 2018-2019 (the year I retired, and started taking some of my pensions).

It was a follow-up to a letter I received exactly one year ago, about the same subject/amount, which I believed I had resolved (error on one of my pension providers, who had wrongly sent info to HMRC stating I had received a pension lump sum, which I hadn’t). So, this time last year, I contacted the pension provider, who emailed me back stating they had reversed the incorrect EYU (Earlier Year Update) and sent it to HMRC, and when I checked my HMRC online account two weeks later, the incorrect payment (and the matching tax liability) had gone, so I obviously assumed the issue was resolved.

Lo and behold, a letter arrives today from HMRC, telling me to pay up tout-suite (a year later), otherwise it may get passed to a credit collection agency.

I rang HMRC (first attempt was 53 minutes on hold, got through to an advisor, and about 4 minutes into the call, the line went dead and I was disconnected) - second attempt on hold for 51 minutes, got through to an advisor, explained the issue, and he said he could see the issue hadn't been resolved, and the tax liability was still outstanding. He couldn’t explain why there was nothing on my personal tax account on their system, but there was on their’s, so he is sending me (by snail mail) the information they have (which I can’t see).

The amusing (for lack of a better phrase) was the fact they want payment within 28 days of postage date (15th March), but the info being sent to me could take up to three weeks to arrive (considering their earlier letter took 6 days between date of issue and date of arrival, probably quite realistic).

Contacted the pension provider, explained the situation, now waiting to hear back from them.

The challenge is that there is no way to contact HMRC PAYE people except by phone, as emails can’t be sent/received to/from them with supporting evidence, and there is no postal contact info…
If my post is in bold and this colour, it's a Moderator Request.

Last edited by Hugh; 21-03-2024 at 21:10.
Hugh is online now   Reply With Quote