View Single Post
Old 14-01-2024, 23:02   #772
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: The future of television

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I don’t know, Chris, you seem to be warming to streaming judging by your recent posts.

It’s just a question of getting used to it, and it will almost certainly improve with time.

I use apps, recordings and bookmarks all the time now, and frankly it presents no problem at all. In fact, I get to the content I want just as quickly or quicker.
TV viewing in our living room, by hours watched, is about 50/50 on any given day in terms of as-broadcast v streaming (whether catch-up or online only). It has been that way in our house for the last 5 or 6 years. In our case it’s because we have a greater than average consumption of the sort of sci-fi and fantasy the PSB channels really can’t be bothered doing any more. Plenty of my real-world friends and family don’t consume nearly as much Netflix/Prime/etc.

Our viewing is entirely over IP but that’s entirely because our house has no aerial and the cost and faff of getting one fitted. I would still rather watch as-broadcast TV via a Freesat box than over IP. Channel hopping via apps is an absolute pain in the neck and many FTA channels just aren’t available at all.

It’s a loss of utility that I can live with, because in absolute terms we don’t watch a vast amount of TV and the lack of an aerial, and the associated inconvenience of navigating streaming/catch-up apps, has the decent side effect of making us watch fewer hours per week than we did maybe 10 years ago. The TV isn’t ever on in the background any more. Viewing is a deliberate choice, and therefore something we do less.

But I doubt advertisers and subscription salesmen are happy with that notion, and if by “getting used to it”, you mean you think the viewing public should learn to be satisfied with less, then you are the Emperor Ming and I claim my £5.

Last edited by Chris; 14-01-2024 at 23:07.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote