View Single Post
Old 14-10-2023, 14:59   #223
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Hamas terrorists invade Israel, kill civilians and take hostages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
If you had unequivocally condemned Hamas’ barbarism when it occurred last week instead of indulging in Corbynisms, you might have a shred of the moral authority necessary to say any of the above and to sound convincing. But you didn’t, and you don’t. For you to stand up now and accuse anyone of shilling for anything is comedy of the highest order.

Personally I had no reservations about condemning Hamas’ terrorist outrages in southern Israel last week on their own terms; they were barbaric, and I’d say sub-human but for the fact that it is evident their behaviour is entirely human. It is what humans do when they are inculcated with an ideology that dehumanises those who are ‘other’, which is exactly what Hamas’ extremist ideology does.

And I have no reservations about condemning the cutting off food and fuel to an entire population (given the nature of the Hamas threat there is no military utility in doing so - it is collective punishment and illegal under international law) and the bombing of convoys of fleeing civilians even if Hamas terrorists are hiding in those convoys.
I think you'll find I did condemn it Chris - merely not using the spineless rhetoric that we are required to accompany it 'Israel has a right to defend herself' that is universally used to censor any debate that attributes the cause of the ongoing conflict to the actions of both sides now, both sides in the past and ultimately both sides in the future.

The requirement frames the debate immediately, and there was enough of that going on from the very first post.

---------- Post added at 14:59 ---------- Previous post was at 14:46 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
If you stood up and condemned Israeli activity in Palestine but are silent over atrocities by the Russian state in Ukraine then you are nothing but a shill, with over six hundred children killed, thousands of children kidnapped, and tens of thousands of targeted civilian casualties and deaths in the last eighteen months.
Hang on have the Israelis killed more children in seven days than Russia have in eighteen months? Dear god. By their own admission they've only just gotten started.

I've definitely condemned Russian activity and underlined the need for a peaceful solution so no particular concern on this front. I'm equally not a politician acting as some kind of moral arbiter of which military causes are just and which are not.

Last edited by jfman; 14-10-2023 at 15:02.
jfman is online now   Reply With Quote