View Single Post
Old 24-07-2023, 18:33   #8
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Using a SIM instead of standard broadband

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I tried that site, and got this ;
More and more common these days.

The free version of the site is more than adequate for selecting and setting up a provider and equipment for 4G home internet and the adverts on the site are hardly offensive.

---------- Post added at 18:33 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
+1 to all Chris has said.

I’ve set up a 4G connection for a family member during lockdown since they had no broadband at all and a caravan set up for another family member. It’s possible that you might have to use the modem/router to override the automatic signal search as well, as it might latch into a stronger signal from a slower mast. Some allow you to lock to specific masts or bands.

I’m considering moving to 5G from Three when my Virgin deal is up I’ve got a mi-fi that gets me 200-500 meg I assume based on congestion.

Also happy to assist.
We installed 4G internet at church earlier this year. I asked the installer to research 5G modems but they’re still a lot more expensive than 4G ones, there’s a lot less choice, and to be honest they’re not always quicker. Most cell towers in most urban locations will allow channel bonding, as long as the modem supports it. A single 4G channel maxes out at 150Mbps down, 50Mbps up. We are normally able to get 2 channels off our local mast so on a good day we can get close to 300/100. The only way 4G really falls down compared to 5G is capacity. If you’re in an area where a lot of people are using the same tower then the available speed will drop considerably. Our previous house was a tourist hotspot; we got it during lockdown and it was brilliant, but when everything opened up again, come the summer holidays our speeds would really suffer.

At church we tend to see 60-70 down, 30 up during the week, but we only really hammer it on Sundays when we live-stream the church service and town is quiet then, so it zips along and we provide 1080HD at ultra-low latency.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote