View Single Post
Old 01-12-2020, 20:03   #1622
Chris
Trollsplatter
Cable Forum Team

Services: Humane elimination of all common Internet pests
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Chris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden auraChris has a golden aura
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Linear TV is live in the sense that we are watching it as it is being broadcast. That’s why it is often described as ‘live TV’.
I’m calling BS on this.

“Live TV” is most frequently used to distinguished a programme that is broadcast as it is being made, like the news, certain magazine shows like The One Show, Blue Peter or Football Focus, or of course major sporting events, from programmes that are pre-recorded.

The phrase is rarely used as a synonym for broadcast. It would be meaningless in that context because for most of the time TV has existed the distinction between broadcast TV, and not-broadcast (I.e. on demand) TV, simply hasn’t existed. And when it did come to exist, well, we all started calling it “on-demand” or “VOD”, in contrast to “broadcast” or “schedule”.

The only place I can think of where you see it used in the way you’re suggesting is within BBC iPlayer, where it is sometimes used to distinguish between links to VOD content and what’s actually being broadcast right now. That, however, is a recent innovation, confined to the BBC as far as I can tell, and certainly doesn’t qualify for the claim that it is “often” the case.

Last edited by Chris; 01-12-2020 at 20:09.