View Single Post
Old 31-05-2019, 19:56   #890
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Other studios need to develop viable models to monetise their content in a more effective way than Sky handing them money every year for however many years. They are deluding themselves if they believe the public will in meaningful numbers buy six, seven or eight (maybe even more?) standalone subscription services.
Not all at the same time every month, I agree, but most people will pick and mix their services to suit their needs as they do now with current subscription services.

---------- Post added at 19:56 ---------- Previous post was at 19:55 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Key to what success?

I wouldn’t expect my jaw to drop far. I’ve already stated I expect distributors to vertically integrate through selling direct to subscribers.

For a right-wing, free trade supporter, who embraces with open arms free market capitalism I’m surprised that what you consistently fail to demonstrate is where the money comes from to sustain all of these independent entities. It’s basic economics. All markets have finite size. Pay-TV is an already widely exploited market, by Comcast, Liberty and yes Netflix and Amazon. The delivery method is new but the market itself isn’t.
Consolidation. TV and film, telecoms and tech now all operate in the same space.

There's already only five major Hollywood studios left and they will all likely get bought out by the tech cos in the next few years. We've already got the next big merger about to start when Viacom and CBS come back together and John Malone has made no secret he wants to sell some/all of his companies out to them and merge that lot with a mobile player like Verizon too. Then, someone like Amazon will come and along and gobble the lot in one bite.

Last edited by Horizon; 31-05-2019 at 20:09.