View Single Post
Old 31-05-2019, 18:45   #889
jfman
Architect of Ideas

jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
jfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronzejfman is cast in bronze
Re: Linear is old tech - on demand is the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
Disney is the first of a number of media companies to go down this route. I can imagine your jaw dropping next year as you see all these new VOD services starting up. The exclusivity of the material they add to their services is key to their success, so I'm afraid the TV channels won't get a look in.

It may not be news you want to hear, but it's happening anyway. If the linear channels don't produce more original content of their own, they will die.

Sad, but true. Don't shoot the messenger.
Key to what success?

I wouldn’t expect my jaw to drop far. I’ve already stated I expect distributors to vertically integrate through selling direct to subscribers.

For a right-wing, free trade supporter, who embraces with open arms free market capitalism I’m surprised that what you consistently fail to demonstrate is where the money comes from to sustain all of these independent entities. It’s basic economics. All markets have finite size. Pay-TV is an already widely exploited market, by Comcast, Liberty and yes Netflix and Amazon. The delivery method is new but the market itself isn’t.