View Single Post
Old 15-10-2018, 22:05   #1564
Angua
10 yrs same company 😁

Services: ? BB, basic phone. Share of Disney+
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Angua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny starsAngua has a pair of shiny stars
Re: Government & Post Election Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLD BOY View Post
I am all for more representative elections, but we need a system that will provide us with strong governments. I have yet to see a completely satisfactory system that I could support.

I do not want to see no clear winners in elections and a constant battle to get anything through the House of Commons. That's what we had with the Conservative/Liberal Democrat coalition and the present Conservative/DUP coalition.

However, we could have a newly constituted House of Lords elected under PR. As a revising chamber that has the credibility of public consent, the changes it proposes to legislation would be a lot more authoritative than we get from the current unelected, mainly clapped out bunch we have in there now.
Why do we need clear winners elected by a minority? What makes that either strong or stable? All it produces is parties ignoring the majority simply because they have hit that magic number of seats in parliament. They don't have to listen to or appeal to the majority, just sway the voters in marginal constituencies. Most seats just do not matter.

Consensus governments have to plan long term, minority parties can get votes/MPs which make the ruling coalition aware of problems, rather than riding roughshod over the electorate because they can easily ignore dissent.