View Single Post
Old 28-08-2017, 17:21   #2384
RichardCoulter
cf.mega poster

RichardCoulter has disabled reputation
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Reminds me of the time truTV jumped the gun and advertised that they would be on VM before carriage negotiations were complete. I wonder if the idea of doing this is to disappoint VM customers who may then put pressure on VM to accept the terms and add the channel??

Are VM now in the business of adding their own pop up channels? I've noticed that Ch 100 is today advertising 'VM TV Exclusives Showcase' from 10pm starting with Ash V Evil Dead.

In the past this has been a Barker or simulcast channel, but I've not known them to playout their own material on it before, in fact I didn't know they had access to playout facilities!

---------- Post added at 15:47 ---------- Previous post was at 15:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin-D View Post
Would VM have to pay to carry Freesports or do Freesports have to pay VM?
This is probably the sticking point in the negotiations. On the one hand I'm sure VM would love to add a free sports channel, but wouldn't be prepared to pay very much (if anything) for a channel available on Freesat & Freeview. They may even expect to be paid something for the carriage costs!

On the other hand, I'm sure that Freesports would expect some form of payment for providing VM customers with the service.

Its a tricky one as some channels, such as the shopping channels, pay to be on the platform, whilst others are paid by VM for the right to carry it eg Sky 1, but in the case of Freesports I guess it boils down to which party needs the channel to be on VM the most. If it doesn't come to VM I think that this will be useful for those renegotiating due to the forthcoming price rise.

---------- Post added at 16:21 ---------- Previous post was at 15:47 ----------

@ MB Star TVE HD has now started on Worldbox.

Don't think I'll be bothering because (as part of the Spanish Viva package) it's £5.99 per month!

Last edited by RichardCoulter; 28-08-2017 at 16:52.