View Single Post
Old 05-05-2017, 17:19   #1224
buckeye
cf.addict

buckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nicebuckeye is just really nice
Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inactive Digital View Post
They already offer their channels directly to Virgin and every other ISPs' customers by providing satellite dishes though. I don't think it'll be a major driver of growth, rather fill in a few gaps - unless they plan to use the service to increase the number of UHD channels, rather than renting more spectrum on Astra.
I cannot have Sky where I live any many properties around here can't.
I live in a nice block and many properties around here are the same as mine, but the management companies simply refuse to allow satellite dishes to be erected (I assume as everywhere here is fully cabled up they all have agreements with VM to not allow dishes for a certain number of years).

Areas like this can't be unique and the cynical side of me thinks Sky may want to take advantage of other company's superior BB networks to further their reach.

As I said I can't see it being a product for me unless I can choose the channels I wish to pay for and am not lumbered with one piece of propriety hardware, but when an area like this now has a minimum 100 mbps internet connection via VM which is superior to anything Sky (or any other ISP) can offer it will be interesting to see if they tempt customers directly to Sky Q for TV but who choose to keep VM for Broadband.
That sort of customer must be almost pure profit for Sky rather than accepting a percentage of the Virgin TV sub Sky are currently getting.