Thread: Tivo V6 TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ
View Single Post
Old 23-04-2017, 15:40   #7
Doctor_YOU
Inactive

Doctor_YOU is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: TiVo V6 compared to SkyQ

Overall I'm thinking the TiVo V6 wins. When Virgin do start doing UHD all V6's in your house will be able to show UHD. On SkyQ only the SkyQ 2tb is capable of showing UHD content. If you have SkyQ 1tb you cannot get UHD content, the SkyQ minis do not show UHD content.

The SkyQ minis rely 100% on a wifi or Ethernet connect. If your house is not wired in every room for Ethernet then you're relying on wifi to send the picture, sound to your SkyQ mini, and when you have 2 minis running on a Dolby enabled HD channel the things can get pretty choppy.

The V6 is what everyone thought the TiVo would be, as long as VM keep it running fast and keep it updated then it's going to be a huge win for them. UHD won't lose them any customers, football and formula 1 in UHD is not that different from HD. If the leap from HD to UHD matched the leap from SD to HD then yeah UHD would be a strong selling point, but it just isn't.

---------- Post added at 15:13 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider999 View Post
Agreed, that would then be a draw - however with V6 you would have to pay an extra monthly fee so possibly a SkyQ win?

SkyQ now has a multi room fee of £12 a month if you want a mini, the price for a second V6 is around £7. But that's easily negotiated downwards with some polite and friendly chat to customer services.

---------- Post added at 15:40 ---------- Previous post was at 15:13 ----------

An just to add, I'm currently enjoying Arsenal V ManCity in HD iNthe FA Cup at no extra charge.

Don't get me wrong though, the original TiVo was a useless piece of crap in my opinion. It performed like a 10 year old PC does running today's software, the only thing the V6 TiVo has in common with the original TiVo is the name.

It's biggest issue may well be that a lot of people's experience of TiVo in the UK is Virginmedias original TiVo. Hence most people seem to think TiVo as a brand or as software is old, slow, clunky. I'm not sure some understand it's was the hardware that was crap!

Last edited by Doctor_YOU; 23-04-2017 at 15:45.
Doctor_YOU is offline   Reply With Quote