View Single Post
Old 03-04-2017, 13:39   #7
nodrogd
cf.mega poster

Services: Maxit + Movies/Sports HD (V6x2), BB350, Anytime Chatter. Freeview/Freesat HD, ASDA/Tesco PAYG
nodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful onenodrogd is the helpful one
Re: Do you still unplug your TV set before going to bed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCoulter View Post
Those of a certain age will remember the time that television closed down for the night. At the end of the day, the continuity announcer would usually say "don't forget to unplug your television set before going to bed". They also used to broadcast a high pitched tone for a time before switching off the transmitters, which I assume was to wake up anyone who had fallen asleep in front of the telly!

I always used to unplug the TV before going to bed, but haven't bothered for many years and now leave it on standby in case it needs a software update. Also, as we have to leave our PVR's plugged in, there doesn't seem to be much point.

Is it still necessary and/or advised now that TV's are much safer?

There were cases when colour televisions first came out that they were prone to catching fire, so I'm assuming that this is why people were advised to unplug them at the socket. Surely there would be no power running through it after it had been switched off though?? I know that some TV's maintain an amount of power inside them for a time, but surely that would be the case even if it was unplugged??
As Taf has already said, many houses only had switched sockets in the kitchen years ago, so the only way to disconnect the set from the mains was to pull the plug.

As for the high pitched whistle, it was nothing to do with waking you up. The "pilot tone" was actually a switching signal instructing the transmitters to turn on or off, as most transmitter sites operated unattended.
nodrogd is offline   Reply With Quote