View Single Post
Old 12-12-2016, 15:33   #3167
1andrew1
cf.mega poster

1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze1andrew1 is cast in bronze
Re: Post-Brexit Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
TBH, I was never happy with the way the government appeared to be trying to keep Parliament out of the process when one of the big selling points of the leave campaign was returning control from some unelected "elite" to our Parliament. Bear in mind that Theresa May, while elected, was not the leader of the party during the last election, so it's doubtful most of the people who voted for her were thinking about her being Prime Minister when they voted, so she cannot claim she was voted in as Prime Minister any more than any leader of the EU can claim to have been voted in.
Interesting statistic I heard the other day - half of the Prime Ministers we have had in the UK weren't leaders of their parties when people voted in the relevant election. (I think half is by number of Prime Ministers and not by the length of time they were in power.)