Thread: Boxing MMA
View Single Post
Old 11-12-2016, 19:52   #219
adzii_nufc
Rafalution

adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
adzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appealadzii_nufc has a bronzed appeal
Re: Boxing/MMA

That's Eddie Hearn literally selling people hype. It's always happened and it's actually damaging especially since the fighters themselves start believing their own BS.

Examples in question, Amir Khan early on often dubbed as Prince Nas v2 and look what happened, he got so overly confident in his talent he forgot a prime aspect of boxing that he can no longer harness which is a good defence. Something not even Virgil Hunter can gift him now. So whilst being the fastest and most accurate puncher in the division with phenomenal footwork, he just has absolutely nothing in his arsenal to avoid counter punches at times. I say at times because on his day he is literally unbeatable on points. Khan's biggest enemy is himself. Garcia and Canelo being the most recent, both sloppy counter shots that put him down. You know, shots that Mayweather, Brook, Manny, Garcia himself, Maidana, would never get caught with. One of Khan's best abilities has phased out too, he threw one of the best body shots at welter, famously dropping Maidana and then Collazo.. only to stop?

Ricky Hatton, was on the path most failed British boxers have, a hype train built with bum fighters, he had one major bout with Tszyu and was amazing but get past that hometown advantage and land yourself in the US as a Prizefighter. We quickly learned that the Welterweight division isn't confined to the walls of Manchester and he was horribly exposed by far better talent in Mayweather and Manny, being absolutely dismantled by both. Point being is despite his flaws, Amir Khan is a far better boxer than Ricky Hatton ever was. Despite Khan being on his back four times, he's still an American PPV seller and has outshone Hatton and Brook over and over with fights against Maidana, Alexander and so on.

Boxing casuals as I call them, like to get behind a big name fighter early on and quickly assume he's the greatest thing of all time. I remember when David Price was future world champion

Again though, you can not measure a guys ability and especially his power when he's literally punching bums. Still that doesn't mean it's not there. There's no test, so far every bum has literally stood directly in front of him and then backed away, basically resulting in a sparring session with an idle bag. My argument like so many others is that your David Haye's and Wilder's are so much quicker, will never be stood still and will hit like a truck. Again a half solid punch from Whyte had Joshua reeling. There's no way he still stands if Wilder and Haye crack him with those shots.

People are still giving Haye flak for returning. He's massive now, still holds the speed and still has a one punch finish in him. He's bad news for Joshua because I still don't see Joshua lasting 3 rounds with him and that's not a bad thing, that's just recognizing that Joshua is still a young talent. I've said it so many times, Derek Chisora will give you a fight so make it happen.

Ideally, Haye could get a vacant title and we'd have multiple world champions but as you can see, Haye is only interested in cashing in on petty rivalries. I'd also like to see Joshua ditch idiots like Hearn and move off to the US early and get a great trainer and promoter underneath him as early as possible, that's how you become a Klitschko and not a David Price.

The respect and acknowledgement between Joshua and Klitschko was great. Wlad should be worried though. Said this before, the small version of Haye cracked him three times and Wlad wobbled and grabbed hold every single time. Joshua won't be leant on the way Haye was so if Joshua does hold the power he's supposed to hold I reckon he could put him down and out.

Last edited by adzii_nufc; 11-12-2016 at 19:58.
adzii_nufc is offline   Reply With Quote