View Single Post
Old 02-04-2016, 11:34   #801
OLD BOY
Rise above the players

Services: 2 V6 boxes with 360 software, Now, ITVX, Amazon, Netflix, Lionsgate+, Apple+, Disney+, Paramount +,
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
OLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronzeOLD BOY is cast in bronze
Re: The future for linear TV channels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris View Post
Just another of the many reasons you're wrong - in the long run, the market delivers what customers want.

Your brave new world of VOD is beginning to sound like school dinners ... we don't want it ... but we'll learn to embrace it ...
And yet, school dinners happened, Chris

---------- Post added at 11:34 ---------- Previous post was at 10:22 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry_hitch View Post
OB, will reply to your other post when I have time. But your article does not help you. The government are saying the BBc should become subscription, it is the journalist. Secondly, this chap wants his cake and to eat it. He does not want the license fee, but he wants free BBC Radio - that all subscribers pay for. Stuff that. I can't imagine that going down well with people who will potentially pay for the service. Thirdly, he states the government will subsidise some programming (pretty sure that will come from a tax on TV if the licence fee disappears) Fourthly, I stopped reading this drivel after the free radio statement but I have not seen him say linear tv will die out either, apologies if he does. Ultimately, the government just need to halve the licence fee and make everyone who watches TV (or streaming services) pay.

On a different note, you seem to be wanting answers for certain questions, from some posters, yet recently you seem to be taking large amounts of umbridge when I ask you to answer questions about your premise.

So tell me, how many services do you think we will see, much do you think they will all the subscripritions cost? Will the companies allow people to drift in and out when they want or tie them into contacts, what do the poor do if the subscription for the BBC is more than the license fee? Do the elderly still get fre e TV? If you were in charge of it all, how would it all work if your premise came true?
Are you doubting that the Government have been considering a subscription funded BBC? It was in the Green Paper (referred to in this link).
http://www.theguardian.com/media/liv...r-live-updates

To my knowledge, the Government have not stated that linear TV will die out. I don't think that has been addressed. My view on this is simply informed by the fact that video streaming is cheaper to manage for broadcasters, who no longer have to rely on scheduling, links between programmes, etc, and it is becoming more popular with time, which stands to impact adversely on advertising revenue.

All this talk about what people want, and the notion that there are diehards in society who refuse to imagine a different way of doing things and resolutely fold their arms saying "It's OK as it is and I'm not changing" - do you really think that this attitude will ensure that nothing changes? I'm sorry, but if advertising revenues no longer cover the expense of running TV channels, they will wither on the vine, like it or not. That's the economic reality.

I have not taken umbrage with you, Harry, but I am surprised that you seem to think that anyone can forecast the future to the level of detail you expect!
OLD BOY is offline   Reply With Quote