View Single Post
Old 13-09-2014, 00:10   #2183
LondonRoad
Inactive

Services: 30mb BB, XL TV, V+, TiVo, talk unlimited.
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
LondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny starLondonRoad has a nice shiny star
Re: Will Scotland Leave the UK?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damien View Post
I think that's rather tenuous.

I have no idea of the size of this 'estate'. I can't find any information about it at all and a search for Benshie comes up with nothing. I find it weird that there can be an estate of his size without a single mention on Google other than Murray's post. This place is so illusive that with 30 minutes Murray's blog was the first hit. For all we know it could simple mean 'his estate' rather than 'an estate'.

Leaving that aside I am not sure the extent to which it matters anymore than an editor advocating for lower inheritance taxes has to declare an interest that they may, in future, be paying inheritance tax does. I would say he already had an interest in being a citizen of the United Kingdom. The Scotsman declared for No as well and presumably their editor has interests in Scotland too. Ditto Sunday Herald.

I don't like the idea that anyone who advocates a side in the vote needs to declare their respective interests on either side of the border.

Unless there is something special or different in this case, i.e he would stand to lose the land in a Yes vote, I don't think he needed to declare it.
Maybe you expect less standards from journalism than I do. Maybe the standards of journalism are such that our expectations are lower.

I'm not talking about anybody advocating a side in the vote. I'm talking about the editor of a national newspaper who doesn't have a vote, has a significant personal interest, fails to mention it.

I doubt if you'll find much information (on Google)on many estates in Scotland unless they've turned them into Safari parks, visitor centres or shooting galleries for the rich.

However, it's a well known fact in Forfar that Bensh (as us locals call it) is the secret hideaway of Elvis Presley and James Dean. It's been rumoured that Hitler holidays there but it's probably John Lennon playing jokes with a silly moustache. You won't find that on google either

{some of the information in this post may contain inaccuracies}
LondonRoad is offline   Reply With Quote