View Single Post
Old 28-05-2014, 10:57   #4
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
Re: The right raid array for NAS

that's good knews, I was under the impression that with raid 5 I would lose one of the 4tb drives to parity and the other 3 would remain seperate logical drives. If it stipes the data and it displays it as one logical drive like in raid 0 I'll be delighted because that is exactly what I wanted.

I know raid 1+0 is the ideal solution but I won't really gain capacity wise from that. As I mentioned above, I have already got 6TBs which are full and I wanted to double to 12TB. The only reason why I am going for a 16TB nas is because I thought I would lose 4tb to parity which still leaves me with the desired 12TB. If I did raid 1+0 I wouldn't really gain much because I would be back down to 8TB. I wanted to get the disk station and get rid of my two 3TB drives so it isn't as if it would be 8TB + 6TB (old drives) although I might consider keeping one of them.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote