View Single Post
Old 28-05-2014, 08:37   #1
General Maximus
Ran Away

Services: phone + 1gbit BB + SkyQ
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
General Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronzeGeneral Maximus is cast in bronze
The right raid array for NAS

I currently have two NAS servers which contain a single 3TB drive and I have run out of space so I am looking to replace them with something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B...pf_rd_i=468294

My question is this:

I defo want to use raid 5 because I'll cry if a hdd fails and I lose everything but I would like to know if there is a way that I can still merge 3 drives together to create one volume like in raid 0 so I just see one big 12TB drive? I will be using the drive as a media server so I am assuming that the devices which view the media will just list the folders regardless of which drive they are on. From my perspective in terms of managing the data I don't want to have to worry about running out of space on a particular drive and then have to start putting the same type of content onto another drive. I would rather have one big 12TB volume and use as much space as I want to. As an example, say I have catergory a, b and c on there and had a drive for each because there are 3 categories, I might only have 500gb of category a but 6TB of category b and I don't want to have to have one drive full of category b and then have it spill onto another drive as well. If I had one big 12TB volume I could just have a folder for each and they would take up as much space as they needed to without me having to worry about how I organise the data.
General Maximus is offline   Reply With Quote