Thread: Tethering on VM
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2014, 13:40   #15
Stuart
-

Services: Virgin for TV and Internet, BT for phone
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Stuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver blingStuart has a lot of silver bling
Re: Tethering on VM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyh View Post
Still doesn't make sense to me ,i could stream a film on my phone or i could still do it on my phone but connect it to a laptop and watch the film on a bigger screen ,same data allowance is used so why the hassle?
While it is true, you are only using what you pay for, bear in mind that it costs them a lot of money for you to use the data so while they can't stop you using what you pay for, they aren't going to make it easier for you to use more data.

In fact, consumer ISPs base their business models on the assumption that most of the time, most of their users will not be using what they pay for. Truly unlimited internet costs a lot more than we, as consumers, pay for our unlimited internet plans.

Tethering is one thing that gets disabled simply because no matter what speed your internet connection and how much data your plan allows you to download, it will be a lot easier to download a lot of data on a laptop or PC than it is on a mobile phone or tablet. For example, if you do a fresh install of Windows or OSX, you will download around 1 gig of updates to get it up to data. Combine that with the fact that they can disable tethering and should a customer complain, they can legitimately argue that they are offering the service they advertise.
Stuart is offline   Reply With Quote