View Single Post
Old 14-08-2013, 23:03   #46
Horizon
Media Watcher

Services: Sky, Cable & Freeview
Horizon has reached the bronze age
Horizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze ageHorizon has reached the bronze age
Re: Why are we still bothering with SD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamav View Post
SD will undoubtedly die off. It may take another 10 years +, but it will happen. There will be few people left with non HD TVs, studios will all eventually upgrade to HD equipment as it's getting cheaper each year. It'll get to a point where having to downscale to SD causes more hassle.

People use to say that about widescreen - that as not everyone has a widescreen TV, 4:3 programmes would be around for a while yet. To a point it is, but not for much longer.

Only historical programming will remain in SD 4:3...! The future is HD 16:9 or better.

Can you imagine when UDH/4K really takes off, trying to watch SD on a 100in screen? No chance.
I agree and the tv industry appears to be leaning towards this view too.

There will be another 10 HD channels on Freeview within the next year and Freeview is also looking to move the HD channels into the top spots, ie BBC One HD moves to channel 1.

I think it will be a while before we see SD totally killed off, probably 10 years as you say. But pay tv operators like Sky and Virgin will move sooner, I think.

With the imminent launch of CH4 +1 HD on the horizon, I could see companies such as Sky killing off the SD +1s to free up EPG places. Then you may see channels such as Sky 1 HD simply being called Sky 1 and the current Sky 1 being renamed Sky 1 SD.

At some point companies especially Sky will "force" everyone onto HD as they did when they changed from their analogue service to their digital service.

---------- Post added at 23:03 ---------- Previous post was at 22:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhatter67 View Post
This is the kind of thread we should be comming back to in 10 years time when

95% of VM STB are HD capable
HD channels are compressed to Mpeg4 codec
HD channels are not sold as premium channels
SKY does not hold HD variants to themselves

Then if these conditions are met you can have the debate what is the point of the SYFY channel being available in SD!
In 10 years year time, if not a lot sooner:

The bulk of stbs will be gone. Content will be "broadcast" straight from the cloud.

Mpeg4/h.264 will be gone. H.265 is on the way now and even that will be superseeded within 10 years.

HD is now being seen as the "standard" and not premium way to broadcast channels. The BBC will have all of its channels in HD within 12 months. So, by the end of 2014 there will be at least 15 HD Freeview channels, so no longer premium.

Sky will not hold HD channels to themselves in 10 years time. That's what 4k/8k will be for.