View Single Post
Old 07-12-2004, 01:35   #10
darant
Inactive

darant is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: No Wireless Networks were found in range

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisauk
I have been unable to connect my PC and My laptop on a wireless network this evening using my wireless dongle and my wireless connection on my laptop.

I have the service pack 2 installed on both and all has been working on a off for about a month but now the PC does not seem to be able to find any available networks. The laptop finds an availalble network fine.

Any ideas?

Cheers
Hi,

I have just (last 2 weeks) brought myself to the wonderful world of wireless and have had lots of hastle to get things †œin the airââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚ so to speak....

1. You mention any available networks?

What do you mean by this?

2. Have you set up your systems using a Domain or Work Group?

Wireless setups, I believe, act differently depending on this?

3. Are you using the hardware manufactures or Windows inbuilt software to create your newtork?

4. Are you using fully compatible hardware for your network?

See below

5. You have not mentioned the make/s or model numbers of the hardware?

Please specify?

6. You mentioned †œI don't really wanna turn zonealarm off last time i did that I got plagued with a virus and I have not changed any of the settingsââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚

If your setup is PURELY for a PC to PC based network? If so, disabling Zone Alarm will not effect your systems as long as your NOT connected to the net

7. Again, not being funny or patronizing, have you FULLY checked the setup?

8. For what purpose are you setting the Network up?

PC to PC connection or file sharing (Ad-Hoc), Printer Sharing, Instant Network messaging, Internet Sharing, other, etc etc?

I apologies if my questions sound like Iâ₠™m patronizing or probing, but you did say †œI am not really sure how to set my network up so it could be too do with thatâ₠¬Ã‚ in post #3. Iâ₠™m NO EXPERT but have info fresh in my head as Iâ₠™ve literally just set up my own Wireless setupÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã â€šÂ¬Ã‚Â¦

I see that Raistlin has a Wireless router as do I. To be honest, I would not even attempt a Wireless setup or network without a decent router/hardware firewallââ‚ ‚¬Ã‚¦Ã¢Ã ¢â€šÂ¬Ã‚¦.

I hope we can sort this for youââ‚ ¬Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢ ¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦.. I looked on the forums and found hardly any threads covering Wireless so hopefully we can all help in getting this issue sorted.

Regards

Daran
darant is offline   Reply With Quote