View Single Post
Old 09-11-2011, 16:37   #24
martyh

Services: Sky Q silver bundle Sky Q 2TB box Sky Q mini box Sky fibre unlimited Sky Talk evenings and week
Re: Fifa tells referee to call off England game if players wear poppies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggy J View Post
Well you will have your way..but the next time a football or a sports event takes place remember the legend that even during one of the bitterest wars of generations the two opposing sides managed to play a game of football on Christmas day..

Sport should rightly transcend politics.As I have stated remembrance of the dead has nothing political about it.It's merely a matter of respect.How anyone can say otherwise beats me.
I have no intention of wearing a poppy ,not out of lack of respect but for purely practical reasons ,it wouldn't last 2 mins in my job and i don't go out anywhere so am i to face your wrath ? ,i have still donated but just didn't to take the poppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymmy View Post
Why? Football has nothing to do with remembering armed conflicts and the lives given in said conflicts..

Being ex-RAF I'm all in support for the poppy appeal but don't see why it should be used in conjunction with a sporting event..
Agree with everything you say Kymmy ,showing respect for the dead in war should not revolve around wearing a poppy once a year .I'm sure that the England players have respect and i'm also sure that a number had great/grandparents involved in the wars and i'm also sure that when the team get off the team bus in their official suits they will all be wearing poppy's ,90mins on a pitch not wearing a poppy won't make a difference to anyone ...big fuss over nothing