Thread: General Favourite Sitcoms
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2011, 15:51   #43
royaltiger
Inactive

Services: 50mb Broadband Ambit VMNG300 modem, Tivo, V+TVDrive Extra Large and NTL phone, Virgin mobile
royaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of lightroyaltiger is a glorious beacon of light
Re: Favourite Sitcoms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post
I think that My Family is average comedy at best. I also think that the reason it's still going is simply because we have very little home produced comedy on TV now.

The only terrestrial channels I can think of who produce even a little comedy are the BBC and Channel 4. Of those two, only Channel 4 appears to be investing in a lot of new comedy series. The BBC is investing in 1 or 2, but that's it.

ITV and Channel 5, for their part, appear to be investing nothing in comedy at the moment.

ITV have apparently said that when Coronation Street moves back to Wednesdays next year, they are hoping to use the prime-time slot that it's vacating to introduce new comedies, so hopefully that will happen, and hopefully whatever they produce will be funny and successful.

I also hope that if the comedy produced is good, and not successful, that ITV stick with it for more than one series. Some shows do take a series or two to really get the formula right. Look at Only Fools and Horses (the first series wasn't that good, but future series have produced what are arguably some of the funniest storylines in comedy) and Men Behaving Badly, which didn't really take off until they paired up Martin Clunes and Neil Morrissey.
Am I right in thinking the first series of Men behaving badly was on itv, then it moved to bbc
royaltiger is offline   Reply With Quote