View Single Post
Old 13-08-2009, 17:03   #15
Dai
Inactive

Services: 50Mb, TV & Phone
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Dai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronzeDai is cast in bronze
Send a message via MSN to Dai
Re: Adding Media Server Using Netgear Switch

No problems there I think. Modem presumably at the moment has a patch cable running to attic homeplug so you'll just need a 2nd patch cable to insert the router into the circuit.

One 'gotcha' that I can think of immediately. The router will have a default range for IP addresses probably in a 192.168.xx.xx format. The media centre NAS may have a set IP in a different range. You may have to read the handbook and discover what are the default settings and if they need to be changed.

In your situation I'd add the router, restart everything and get the modem-router-laptop working first then think about adding the media unit once that is all OK.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote