View Single Post
Old 03-09-2008, 23:07   #28
AndyCambs
cf.mega poster

Services: Virgin Media XL Broadband XL Virgin Mobile V+ installed! and a happy Virgin Media customer
AndyCambs has reached the bronze age
AndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze ageAndyCambs has reached the bronze age
Re: Using my virgin mobile overseas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
Maybe being an American ship and somehow they've set up their own mini-network they have it set up that you must use 011 - the USA code for making international calls and not 00 the European and many parts of the rest of the world access code. Could be the phone didn't realise that +44 needed to be converted into 011 and not 00 as I've heard this happen a few times with people in the USA.
Probably INMARSAT and you wouldn't want to make calls at that cost!

---------- Post added at 23:07 ---------- Previous post was at 23:06 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BexTech View Post
It should be automatically converted, however in the USA for some reason it doesn't always work - why? I don't know, I just know it's a known issue.

Greece is in Europe which uses 00 and not in the USA where the problem arises from time to time. That's why when in Greece you didn't have a problem, because Greece hasn't suddenly become part of the USA and uses their system.

I've never had a problem and my numbers have always been entered in +44, +34 etc format ever since owning a mobile phone back in the dark ages, but then I've not bothered going to the USA.

---------- Post added at 23:34 ---------- Previous post was at 23:33 ----------

That could well be the reason.

Misread your post at first, thought it was just using the 'USA' ship where there was the issue.

You need to either press * twice quickly or hold the * down until the + symbol comes up.

You would have been dialling *44.... and not +44.....
I've always held down the zero button to get a +
AndyCambs is offline   Reply With Quote