View Single Post
Old 22-03-2008, 17:51   #5
Baxter
Inactive

Baxter is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Help needed on installation of Netgear WNR384B

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaccLad View Post
When you've set it all up according to those instructions you've posted above , do you know if the router is managing to assign an IP address to the PC?

Click Start / Run, and enter 'cmd' to open a DOS window.
At the command prompt, enter:
ipconfig /all

You should have an IP address of 192.168.x.y (not sure what x and y will be for that router); if it's a 169.a.b.c then the router isn't assigning a proper IP address.

I wasn't sure from the above if you've already checked out all that sort of stuff.

------
Also, I just wondered whether the cable your using from the PC to the router is maybe a cross-over cable (could be if it's the one you were previously using from PC to modem)?
Good Afternoon MaccLad ,

Many thanks for your response , I have ran the ipconfig/all
Windows IP Config
Host Name WS3
Primary DNS Siffix :
Node Type: Hybrid
Ip Routing: No
Wins Proxy Enabled: No

Ethernet Adaptor Local Area Connection

Description Intel (r) Pro 100 VE Network
Physical Address 00-0C-F1-ED-21-66
Dhcp Enabled : No

IP Address 83.245.107.30
Subnetmask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 83.245.107.254
DNS Series 212.113.0.3

I have since had a further comment from netgear
Regarding your concern, I would suggest you to execute the following troubleshooting steps on the computer and mail us the detail results to analyze & work upon the issue:

Please connect computer to the LAN port of router :

1. Click Start -- Run, type 'CMD' for Windows XP/2000/2003 or type ‘Command’ in case of Windows 98se/ME and press Enter. For Vista click Start – Run – All Programs – Accessories – Command Prompt.
2. Type 'ipconfig' and press enter.
3. Mail us the complete IP configuration information.

4. Type 'ping «Gateway»’ where Gateway is the Default Gateway received from troubleshooting step 2. Then, press Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
5. Type 'ping 4.2.2.2' hit Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
6. Type 'ping www.yahoo.com' hit Enter. Check if you receive four replies.
7. Mail us the results of the ping tests.

I have carried out the above and the results are below

ipconfig
IP Address 83.245.107.30
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 83.245.107.254

Second Request , I was not sure about ping <> , I did try this and the response was ping request could not find Gateway
I then pinged 83.245.107.254 and I got
Request timed out 4 times
Sent 4 Received 0 Lost 4

This was the same result for ping 4.2.2.2

When I pinged www.yahoo,com the response was
Ping request could not find host www.yahoo.com, please check name and try again

In relation to the cable , I am not sure what a cross over cable is but the cable from modem to router is the original cable which I currently use to link modem to computer.
The cable from router to computer is the cable that was supplied with router

I hope that this sheds some light on where to go next.

Once again many thanks for any help

Kind Regards

Baxter

---------- Post added at 17:42 ---------- Previous post was at 17:40 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSainsbury View Post
Think he made a typo - he must mean WNR834B
You are right typo error , so not only am I unable to configure a router but I can not even type correct.

Not sure what this web page is for , can you please clarify

Regards
Baxter

---------- Post added at 17:51 ---------- Previous post was at 17:42 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob View Post
I can't to find the specifications of that router. Is it standalone i.e. it doesn't have an inbuilt ADSL modem. Are you connecting it to Virgin Media Cable, or something else.

That it is refurbished is perhaps a worry. Do you know that the fault that required it to be refurbished has been fully repaired?

Whatever you do start with the router set to factory standards. If you've been fiddling with it's configuration get back to basics so you have a clean sheet to play with.

If connecting to the Virgin Media modem, you must power off the modem before you make any connection or change the device connected to the modem i.e. computer or router.
Sorry ,
I typed in the wrong details it is a Netgear WNR834B , I am not sure what teh exact fault was . I purchased it from Planet 78 and they advise that refurbshed means that they have been returned , sometimes it can just be damaged package box.

I have tried the complete rest of router without any luck.

Any thoughts would be gratefully appreciated
Regards
Baxter
Baxter is offline   Reply With Quote