View Single Post
Old 12-01-2008, 18:46   #51
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: Cant Connect To NAS server, need help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callumpy View Post
Here is my network diagram:

I am using the desktop PC, my nas is not running a OS, My PC is XP,

i can accesss the server on the other PC so its not cableing,

the error message i get is This network path was not found, the connection cannot be restored!

Thats it!

oh, and the NAS is the ATMT

that is my Server, but i cant get into it with this PC!
right, so that 'can not be restored' implys you had a LAN connection to it at one point and you shared that working connection to a drive letter....

im going to assume your IP for the NAS box has now changed and so the share isnt pointing to the right IP now, does that make sense to you?.

your NAS does infact have an OS on it ,just not windows, thats why you can access the NAS mini web server, its running on that OS.

the box specs say this:
http://www.atmt.co.uk/netdrive_details.html
"
SPECIFICATIONS [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Supported Hard disk Format type FAT32[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Max. Folder No limitation in program [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Max. share folder samba share 32[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Max. Login 64 sessions in total [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Recommend login 8 sessions [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Network Protocol TCP/IP
File system SMB(CIFS) 、 FTP
Interface Port 1 RJ-45 Ethernet port [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]

Built-in O/S uC/OS[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
CPU RDC8820[img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Memory SDRAM 8MB NOR Flash 512KB [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Power supply Input : AC 100~240V Output : 2A [img]Download Failed (1)[/img]
Dimensions 198x122x61 mm[img]Download Failed (1)[/img] Weight 1150g (With HDD)

so you can use both CIFS for LAN net browsing, and assigning that drive letter to the NAS's IP ,and you can use FTP access, as your doing, for the WAN side that everyones using to look at your files.

you can also use the FTP server on your LAN side, did you try it with both the WAN IP and the local LAN IP direct?.

if you look in the NAS's manual, it tells you how to setup these shares etc,so it might be a case of just re-mapping that old drive map name to the new IP its using, assuming it is that problem.

the way to find out, is to use the ping command to see if you can talk to the devices on your LAN at a vey basic level .

o rperhaps you can even just use browse the network without using the mapped ip/name and see the NAS that way, if so, then just deleate the old maped letter and reassign the new ip to another letter.

so do a basic check and ping each LAN IP of all your PCs and the NAS.

its good to use fixed IPs in all your devices, or at least write each divices/PCs IP down so you have a map to ping and check for changed IPs, with so many routers/firewalls on there its getting a little complicated for a noob network.

the PC that can see the NAS , can that PC also ping the PC than cant see the NAS?.

if not, then the PC you cant ping has perhaps got an IP range thats different to the rest.

i notice the NAS can give out IPs, so do you only have one bit of kit (one of the routers)giving out IPs from its DHCPD server or are all of them ?, that can lead to a big mess so its important to know for sure.

http://www.atmt.co.uk/manuals/NETWOR...r%20Manual.pdf

btw,you can set a password for any of the NAS directorys you create, so i sugest you make a new passworded dir, and move any copyright files into that, so your not publicly sharing them, and you then need to give people the password access (if they have the right to use them)before they can get them from the public webside IP/FTP.

its perfectly fine and legal to share any non copyrighted files (freeware licenced)be they sound ,video or what ever(your friends/people make them and give them a freeware licence in the readme, or give you permission to share etc) and they can be in your non password protected dirs.

your key tool for solving this connection problem on the LAN side is the ping command, do you know how to use that yet?.

click start/run and type cmd in that cli box , inside that cmd shell/cli you can then use any shell command such as ping etc.

the default IP for the NAS in the manual says 169.254.0.1 and is an MS oddball IP , its unlikely your PCs and routers/firewall are using that 169.* range but im assuming now, one of your router DHCP IP servers are giving out a true 192.* IP range to all your kit.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote