Thread: Remote Desktop
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2007, 19:39   #12
7@m3 G33k
Inactive

Services: 3 for £30 & I still pay 25p/min tech support?!?
7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era7@m3 G33k has entered a golden reputation era
Re: Remote Desktop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucker61 View Post
Firewalls only off for 5 minutes whilst i tried to see if they were the problem.
Have installed logmein and ultra vnc, cannot work out ultra vnc so it is coming off tonight, will try crossloop later.
Still 5 minutes too long - it really isn't worth the risk of having your PCs compromised. That's all the time it takes to install some software that will bypass your firewall even when you switch it back on. Do you ever buy anything online? Oops...there goes your credit card details! Online banking? Oops...

Anyway on a more positive note...what is it that you actually want to achieve? Because with Remote Desktop or similar applications you won't see what's on the screen of your desktop - you will get a new Windows session the same as when you login at the machine.

For e-mail on your laptop you could use an IMAP e-mail client which allows you to do all your regular e-mail tasks without necessarily downloading the mail onto your laptop. Assuming you have a POP3 mail client on your desktop you will need to set that to leave your e-mail on VM's mail server for a certain period of time: a week or so, depending on what suits you. I do this with my laptop and it's very straightforward but if you want any further advice I'd be happy to help.

To check the progress of your downloads see if your P2P client has a web interface, some do, some don't. If so then you can check your downloads through a web browser on your laptop. I don't do much P2P (far too paranoid generally!) so maybe someone else here can advise about this.
7@m3 G33k is offline   Reply With Quote