View Single Post
Old 04-06-2007, 01:40   #36
Chrysalis
cf.mega poster

Services: Gig1, Hub 5
Chrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronzeChrysalis is cast in bronze
Chrysalis is cast in bronze
Re: Sky's (push-)VOD service - Sky Anytime on TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RS100 View Post
Here is info and pic's of sky's vod service

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/digitalt...v-preview.html

what do you guys think about it,
Its a poor mans VOD, skys technology is poor and they can only store programs on the box whilst not been able to do true on demand. I think they intend to address this in the future using adsl as a way of providing proper on demand.

I disabled mine as it stops my hd in the sky+ been powered down as it records all night to provide the anytime content.

---------- Post added at 01:35 ---------- Previous post was at 01:34 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek S View Post
From memory V1 was made by Pace and had a 40GB Drive. V2 was made by Amstrad and again had a 40GB drive.

V3 was back to Pace and had a larger hard drive with a hidden part for 'future' use.

This is all from memory and may be wildly wrong. Basically the 1st and 2nd Gen boxes cannot use the new thing and the others can.
PVR3 is done by all 3 manufacturers, mine been a amstrad which I think happens to be the slowest and most unreliable of the 3 brands.

Thompson
Amstrad
Pace

---------- Post added at 01:37 ---------- Previous post was at 01:35 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygrif View Post
That's my understanding too. There was also a Sky+160 box, which was (much) more expensive, which I would assume is not included in the pseudo-VOD service.

According to reports, about half the Sky+ boxes are going to get this upgrade - so perhaps this is why there are rumours that the Sky+ charge is going to be dropped - I mean, if I had a V2 box (thankfully I have a V3 one) I wouldn't be very happy about coughing up the same tenner each month for features I couldn't access.

I am purely doodling in the wind here, but I have a feeling that if the rumours about the Sky+ service for free are true, then the 'VOD' element might be chargeable. Just a hunch, no basis for my musings.
The sky+ becoming free I think is more due to the fact freeview boxes now have the same recording features and its became a threat to sky.

---------- Post added at 01:40 ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by themelon View Post
That box is going to require some serious work, on most of the UK connection speeds I can not see it workign very well, BT are struggling to get it to work.
IPTV is probably the single biggest thing that justifies a FTTH/P rollout as the current adsl infrastructure as as already been said will struggle with it. Very surprised BT attempted it on ADSL1 technology, other countries that have high IPTV takeup such as belgium provide it over adsl2+ which has much more bandwidth then ADSL1 but even then BTs high attenuation lines will have problems.
Chrysalis is offline   Reply With Quote