View Single Post
Old 13-10-2006, 09:42   #4
popper
Inactive

popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
popper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze arraypopper has a bronze array
Re: ntl BB and wireless router

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostandconfused View Post
hi, i hope someone can help as im completely lost now : s
to give a bit of background, i just bought a new laptop and it is meant to be wireless so i thought i would get a wireless router so i can use it and my desktop in another room. the BB is working fine on both pc's connected via cable but i have to unplug one to use the other and it is a bit annoying sometimes

i bought a Belkin Wireless Cable/DSL Gateway Router 802.11b 54g, i followed the instructions that came with it and couldnt get it to connect at all, the lights were on apart from the WAN light, i called belkin tech support and they said it was faulty and i should return it.

i then bought a linksys wireless B broadband router and im getting the same sort of problem, the power and wireless b lights are on and the internet light but my laptop wont seem to pick up the signal at all.

its a new laptop so i assume the wireless bit works as its always saying wireless connection not connected when i log on, i was just wondering does it have to be activated or something?

i hope someone can help beacuse its really starting to get the better of me and i can see myself with an expensive frisbeen soon

many thanks
its easy to get lost, tag your it .

right , get back to basics, whats the exact model you have now, url to the pdf incase its needed later, assuming your main machine is a wired connection to the router ?,the wired bit works fine and you can browse the net with that?.

because you have now tryed two makes/routers with the same problem,'wireless connection not connected' it seems the laptop setting are wrong as out-the-box w-routers should just be plug-in and go, or at least get to the point were you can connect 2 or more machines together on the lan and ping each other.

did the lappy come with its own wireless settings app (most 3rd party ones do along with the driver), assuming your on xp and are currently useing the xp auto wireless config bits, does the above app make a difference to searching and finding/connecting to the router?.

assuming your main machine is wired and working, find the w-routers built-in mini webserver (just like the ntl modem has) and see if its wireless radio options are turned on, they should be as i said, but confirm it anyway, then we can look at the lappys wireless card , what is it exactly?, cmd: ipconfig /all to get an idea of make, ip etc.

you say the WAN light is off, did you use the right straight through rj45 cable to connect it to the NTL250? but lets get the basic machine to machine lan part working for now.

ping each others ip's once we get past that 'wireless connection not connected' problem and if needs be use fixed ip setting for the NC cards (192.168.0.2 and .3) to simplyfy etc.
popper is offline   Reply With Quote