View Single Post
Old 04-10-2004, 17:37   #34
Graham

Re: british grand prix axed for 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherer
you were stating that it would be difficult to televise an 8 mile circuit.. i was pointing out that it has already been done.
Yes, but the point is that the strategies and tactics of an endurance race are not the same as those of an F1 race.

Imagine you're the director of an F1 camera team on an 8 mile circuit and you're trying to keep tabs on all the cameras needed to cover that length to ensure you don't miss showing some of the action!

Quote:
One of the main problems I think we have today with overtaking is shown by the ITV coverage. When they talk to the teams during a race or before and the drivers they all say we are racing this person and are looking into what we can do with the strategy to overtake. Or the other phrase they use is you can't pass here so i waited for the stops.
Which is why I'm saying the new tracks are good because you *can* pass!

Quote:
Next year tyres have to last the whole race.. why not take out refueling as well then the action has to happen on the track they can't wait for a pit stop.
Personally I think that the pit-stops should change, but by using a US style system where you can only have 5 people on the other side of the pit wall instead of the 20+ you have in F1.

Currently it is the refuelling that takes up most of the time, unless there's a problem the tyres are finished long before the fuel. If, OTOH, you could only have five people working on the car, tyre changes would be much longer and it would get back to being a *team* sport because the mechanics would have to make sure they got it right.