View Single Post
Old 30-06-2004, 15:14   #1
punky
Inactive

punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
punky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aurapunky has a golden aura
Poor wireless connectivity

I'm having intermittent wireless LAN problems and i'm hoping someone could shed some light on it.

First of all, it is a Netgear MR814 802.11b wireless router. I'm trying to use my dad's HP laptop with built-in wireless modem ("Intel(R) PRO/Wireless LAN 2100 3B Mini PCI Adapter" apparently).

Here's the thing: In the mornings, it is fine. It maintains signal fine and it never drops. In the afternoon, it starts to lose the connection intermittently. Like only a few times, say once every 20-30 mins. The signal strength is always "Very Good" or "Excellent" even when it drops, and once it drops, it comes back within about 5 seconds.

Now come evening time, it is practically unusable. It keeps dropping like every minute or two. It normally comes back after a few seconds though. Bizarrely, I don't know wether Windows is lagged, but sometimes the Internet works even though the icon is in the taskbar, although mostly it doesn't.

Anyways, does anyone know why the wireless LAN is so affected by the time of day? It is so predictable that I can tell the time if day by how long I can stay connected on the lappy. I have a desktop using a Netgear wireless modem, and it doesn't seem to have the same problem. Now when I was setting it up (last year, this isn't a recent problem), there was another wireless network that came up in the available networks. Has anyone known networks interferring with each other which could "knock me off"? I'm guessing there is nothing wrong with the built in modem as it works perfectly in the mornings, just not in the afternoon or evenings. Anyone have any thoughts? Thanx in advance.
punky is offline   Reply With Quote