Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Freesat & Freeview (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=109)
-   -   Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33694050)

bambos22 25-06-2013 16:08

Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

Dear all,

I have a question and problem that I would like resolved.

I have recently realigned my sky dish to 13 degrees east to get the free to air Greek channels..

In the process of realignment, I discovered my neighbour had hijacked my dish for I assume his own sky channels. In anycase, I proceeded with the realignment and left his connection in.

My own cable is connected to a technomate Tm5400 Ci reciever. Unfortunatley, I cant pick up any channels even though there is 97 % signal strength.

Could the problem relate to the fact that there are two different recievers connected to a single lnb?

Harry

Raistlin 25-06-2013 16:32

Re: Hotbird 13 degrees - Technomate - Sky HD box

Dunno, but :welcome: to Cable Forum

Can't help with your question I'm afraid, other than to say that if it's definitely your dish and your neighbour's connected up to it without your knowledge, I'd get back up the ladder with a pair of wire cutters sharpish. Snip snip!

bambos22 25-06-2013 16:39

Thanks,

I may just do that. Id be grateful if someone could shed light on this matter..

Iv tried every single setting on my technomate and it does not work :(

multiskilled 25-06-2013 16:54

You might have to wait until Kymmy comes in she's the expert on satellite. Though I'm pretty sure you can't run two receivers off a single lnb.

muppetman11 25-06-2013 17:35

I would severely doubt that a Sky dish is large enough to receive the full range of channels available at 13 degrees east , I'm no expert but I've seen this asked many times and the answer has always been to go for at least an 80cm dish.

Kymmy 25-06-2013 17:38

If it's a dual/quad output single LNB then it shouldn't matter.. If though it's a single output and then split then one box will dominate the polarization. It should still though find some of the channels??

How did you point the sat to 13E? Did you use a sat finder or just line it up hoping for the best? Also ignore the signal meter on the reciever as most of the time they are measuring gain/quality or something else entirely different, you need a sat finder to make sure that you are on the right sat..

---------- Post added at 17:38 ---------- Previous post was at 17:36 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35588419)
I would severely doubt that a Sky dish is large enough to receive the full range of channels available at 13 degrees east , I'm no expert but I've seen this asked many times and the answer has always been to go for at least an 80cm dish.

Looking at the footprint even a 50cm dish should get hotbird 13E all the way upto the top of the UK mainland

http://www.lyngsat-maps.com/maps/hb6.html

bambos22 25-06-2013 23:18

Hello Kymmy,

Wow thankyou... I got someone to realign it for me with all the professional kit.. I now have the technomate working..

However, The technomate is now at my parents house... Can I use the SKY HD box instead? or should I but a new reciever?

Harry

Kymmy 26-06-2013 08:54

The sky box won't be able to scan hotbird, you will though be able to use the engineers menu to enter specific channels using the engineers menu (you'll have to ask someone else as I've not had a sky box since the early analogue days) and the info found for the channels on lyngsat.

Chris 26-06-2013 10:22

Have you heard your neighbour complaining about the loss of his Sky yet? :D

bambos22 29-06-2013 20:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35588640)
Have you heard your neighbour complaining about the loss of his Sky yet? :D

Believe it or not, I came home last night and my dish was realigned to SKY. My neighbour has obvioulsy contacted sky and they have been out.

Raging.. I have contacted sky and they will hopefully resolve it.

Chris 29-06-2013 20:45

Good grief.

So your neighbour has an active Sky sub? I wonder if he had an independent cowboy in to do his installation, who thought he could save himself the cost of a dish by hijacking yours.

bambos22 25-07-2013 20:52

Hello guys,

Thanks for all the support. Had a terrible time of it but it is now all resolved.

I have an onother issue. It relates to channel loss during the terrible thunderstorms and heavy rains.

I have a 60 cm ( scottish Zone 2 ) sky dish.. I am thinking to purchase an 80cm similar mesh dish.

See below..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/80cm-Dish-...:X:RTQ:GB:1123

Will this improve the problems that I am having?

Harry

Kymmy 25-07-2013 21:03

Yes. A larger dish aligned properley will help in rainy conditions. I use a 1.2m dish on a motor to great success on most EU SATs.

Chris 25-07-2013 21:38

I can't help wondering what your terrible time was? Did you end up in a dispute with your neighbour over the "shared" dish?

bambos22 25-07-2013 21:54

I'll explain Chris...

Decided to realign my own dish from sky alignment to Hotbird allignement.

Original engineers were genuine crooks and did not do the realignment properly, blaming my receiever box.

Got a second opinion and was told that the dish was not aligned properly.. Got this fixed however discovered that my neighbour was feeding off my dish.

We disconnected their connection and proceeded with alignement.

In the coming days I came home and discovered my dish had been realigned back from Hotbird to sky.. I was really angry.

Ended up speaking to by neighbours who had "sky insure".. They came out and gave my neighbour a new dish and realigned my dish back...

Although I am receieving Hotbird, I am hoping to increase the signal quality to improve in poor conditions.

Do you think the dish in the above link will work better?

I live in Glasgow

Harry