Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   sky boxes on e-bay (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33678863)

telegramsam 20-06-2011 16:44

sky boxes on e-bay

Does anyone have any experiences of buying sky boxes and viewing cards on e-bay? I know these boxes can legally be sold (once out of warranty/contract) unlike virgin`s boxes but I was wondering what channels you would get? More than you would get on freesat for instance?

Kymmy 20-06-2011 16:51

Re: sky boxes on e-bay

Viewing cards are likely to be FTV enabled only, unlike VM boxes sky boxes are owned by the customer so they are quite free to sell.. Just don't expect Sky+ or HD boxes tofully function without a valid Sky+ or HD subscription

Chris 20-06-2011 16:52

A Sky box without a viewing card will get most FSFS channels but you can't regionalize it properly because Sky sets the region on the viewing card rather than in the box itself. A Freesat box sets its region via your postcode and has no need of a card.

Be wary of Sky boxes currently for sale on fleabay. There was a major programme to replace all viewing cards last year and it is likely that many boxes are now on the market whose owners didn't see the point of paying for the new card. I would say it is safe to assume if you buy a box on ebay you will also have to plan to buy a new viewing card from Sky.

There are few differences in the channel line-up between Freesat and FSFS but nothing very significant. All the main entertainment channels are on both and most of the very obscure channels that are missing from the Freesat EPG can still be tuned manually if you desperately want them. Have a look here:

http://www.freesat.co.uk/what-you-get/our-channels

and here:

http://www.sky.com/shop/freesat/home/what-can-i-watch/

Kymmy 20-06-2011 17:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35260923)
Be wary of Sky boxes currently for sale on fleabay. There was a major programme to replace all viewing cards last year and it is likely that many boxes are now on the market whose owners didn't see the point of paying for the new card. I would say it is safe to assume if you buy a box on ebay you will also have to plan to buy a new viewing card from Sky.

I believe that the FTV cards do not get replaced as they are a one off fee from sky, so old cards should still act as a FTV card.

Chris 20-06-2011 17:02

Not true - all old cards had to be replaced last year. They were issued free to subscribers but FSFS users had to pay for them. I know, because I had to buy one. ;)

Kymmy 20-06-2011 17:17

It's then the first time they've ever done that :( I suppose it'll be since Sky introduced their freesat systems

ZrByte 20-06-2011 22:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35260930)
Not true - all old cards had to be replaced last year. They were issued free to subscribers but FSFS users had to pay for them. I know, because I had to buy one. ;)

You sure that was last year? We had the same thing when we where with sky from 2008-2009 Think it was in the Jan of 2009. Didn't think they changed the cards that often?

Chris 20-06-2011 23:32

Time flies, but I'm sure it wasn't as long ago as early 2009. There was only one card-swap programme (from the blue card to the white one) but it was phased IIRC.

adzii_nufc 21-06-2011 08:27

beware of sub active boxes though, they are illegal!

dave6x 21-06-2011 11:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 35261167)
Time flies, but I'm sure it wasn't as long ago as early 2009. There was only one card-swap programme (from the blue card to the white one) but it was phased IIRC.

I seem to recall it happened to me either late 2009 or early 2010, details of the change here

I have an old expired blue subscription card. I'm still struggling with Sky box with old blue card and have lost ITV1 (but not ITV 1+1), 5*, 5*+1, 5 USA, 5 USA+1, Pick TV, Pick TV+1, but still picks up correct region for BBC 1 and ITV1+1. ITV London is available on Ch 993, and many channels can be set up in Services>Other Channels including regional ITV 1, however you have to set these up using Services>System Setup>Add Channels .

I have a FreeView PVR for the other channels anyway and use a HDD/DVD recorder for recording off SKY. Will probably get FreeSat PVR as Sky+ can't be used for recording without subscription.

telegramsam 21-06-2011 13:21

Thanks for all the information guys,very helpful. I doubt I`l be buying one though as I already have a sky subscription,freeview,freesat and virgin L v+. I was just curious about them.

MadGamer 23-06-2011 16:31

Bought my Sky+HD box off of eBay last year brand new. Sky had no problems pairing the viewing card. :)

telegramsam 23-06-2011 18:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35262543)
Bought my Sky+HD box off of eBay last year brand new. Sky had no problems pairing the viewing card. :)

How much did sky charge to pair the card?

MadGamer 23-06-2011 21:12

Nothing, all they do is ask for box make/model serial number and card number