Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Science & Technology (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   Android Launchers and Keyboards (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704293)

alanbjames 11-01-2017 20:02

Android Launchers and Keyboards

Hi Guys.

I have a new phone and i want to personalise it to stop it being just the boring Samsung theme.

What im wondering is what Launchers and keyboards everyone would recommend.

Thanks.

Stephen 11-01-2017 20:20

Re: Android Launchers and Keyboards

Nova Launcher is very good, I've been using it on various phones and tablets for years. There is a free one or a paid for version Called Nova Prime.

The google keyboard is also pretty decent too.

BenMcr 11-01-2017 21:38

I've used Swiftkey keyboard for years and wouldn't use anything else. They've also recently made their themes free in addition to itself being free (I believe).

The nice thing is their cloud sync for learned words goes across any Android device you have with it on, and also iOS too.

techguyone 11-01-2017 21:40

+1 for Nova here, it was on offer over xmas too, either way, it's worth it.

MadGamer 11-01-2017 23:00

Just installed Nova myself (went for the premium version) and my phone seems a lot quicker

OhReally 11-01-2017 23:35

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadGamer (Post 35880202)
Just installed Nova myself (went for the premium version) and my phone seems a lot quicker

You could just root it, install Titanium Backup and "freeze" (make inactive forever) all the bloatware the company installed.

Jimmy-J 12-01-2017 02:51

I've tried loads of launchers and always return to Nova. I use Swiftkey for the keyboard.

alanbjames 12-01-2017 21:14

Thanks guys i bought Nova and installed swiftkey. Only one question, while installing and enabling swiftkey i had a warning it can access and record credit card and password details. Should i be concerned?

Stephen 12-01-2017 21:26

No it's just a general warning as most apps and access rights state similar.

Osem 13-01-2017 00:58

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35880384)
Thanks guys i bought Nova and installed swiftkey. Only one question, while installing and enabling swiftkey i had a warning it can access and record credit card and password details. Should i be concerned?

No, just don't give it your card PIN, date of birth, mother's maiden name, the name of your first pet/girlfriend/boyfriend, etc... :)

We used to use Touchpal but the adverts became so annoying we all ditched it and will never go back.

jonbxx 13-01-2017 09:37

I use the Alphadroids Launcher. Pretty much like the Google Launcher with a few nice customisations available. Swiftkey keyboard BTW

alanbjames 13-01-2017 19:11

ive noticed one glitch with the Nova launcher. If u have your messages icon on the desktop and have messages, it doesnt show u have new messages.

GrimUpNorth 13-01-2017 20:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanbjames (Post 35880512)
ive noticed one glitch with the Nova launcher. If u have your messages icon on the desktop and have messages, it doesnt show u have new messages.

If you've bought Nova Prime then you need an add on for unread count badges. The company behind Nova do one (free) - just search Play Store for TeslaUnread.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Grim

Stephen 13-01-2017 20:15

Thats not a glitch, there is an add on for nova that enables message count on desktop icons.

DJSADERS 14-01-2017 14:51

i use Apex Launcher which is similar to nova with Google Keyboard because it saves my words across devices :)