Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   General : Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017) (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704203)

theone2k10 16-03-2017 17:06

Re: Coming Soon to Virgin Media TV (2017)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jj20x (Post 35890323)
Not at all, Sky doesn't even own the satellites, they use space on the SES Astra fleet. BT, however, is another matter, originally being publicly owned as a part of the GPO.

Indeed.

As mentioned previously, the concern with the Sky takeover is the Murdoch empire's control of and influence over the media. Bearing in mind the reasons for the fate of the Murdoch controlled newspaper "News of The World", the concerns are well founded.

Oh i remember that News of the world scandal yeah it is a bit of a concern with murdoch tbf.

Inactive Digital 16-03-2017 17:45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizon (Post 35890285)
You're meaning, I think, that you reckon Sky News will be converted into "fair and balanced" "news".

I hope NOT.

By all means have Fox News on VM, I'd welcome that, but Sky News shouldn't be changed into Fox News UK.

I agree and think it's unlikely, certainly in the short term. However, News Corporation pledged safeguards for the autonomy of Sky News in the event of a successful takeover. I don't recall seeing anything of the sort from 21st Century Fox.

Jacquesb 17-03-2017 07:41

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inactive Digital (Post 35890334)
I agree and think it's unlikely, certainly in the short term. However, News Corporation pledged safeguards for the autonomy of Sky News in the event of a successful takeover. I don't recall seeing anything of the sort from 21st Century Fox.

I would not think that any safeguards offered by Murdoch would be worth the paper they were (n't) written on. Sky/Murdoch/News Corp are far too powerful already & need to be stopped.

OLD BOY 17-03-2017 07:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by theone2k10 (Post 35890314)
No info yet mate.

It is disappointing that VM haven't pursued Wurl TV yet - this would be a further indication that it was taking its TV content deficiencies more seriously.

Surely, for VM this should be a no brainer. There are no affiliate fees or upfront costs for cable operators to carry any channels offered through the Wurl Network, and these channels are not currently available on Sky.

Wurl’s TV Channel Line-Up looks like this:

Streaming News Network – 24-hour news covering domestic and international news, politics, sports, entertainment, business and tech. Streaming News Network brings together content from many of the world’s top digital news producers.

The Sports Feed – Wurl’s 24-hour sports news, covering teams, players and scores in all major sports from around the world.

The Alt Channel – Millennial-targeted programming covering a wide range of topics and interests from leading digital media producers.

Baeble Music TV –The inside scoop on bands, artists and music. Exclusive Concerts, Sessions and Interviews give you a front row seat to some of the best music and bands of today. Mumford & Sons, Bloc Party, Chvrches and hundreds more.

Popcornflix – a 24-hour movie channel, produced in partnership with Screen Media, the largest independent distributor of motion pictures to the TV industry. Popcornflix features popular movies for all age groups, from major studios and independent producers, covering all genres including family, kids, comedy, horror and documentary.

muppetman11 17-03-2017 10:04

Last time I looked the Murdoch's were pretty much pulling the strings at Sky now.

theone2k10 17-03-2017 12:09

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 35890418)
It is disappointing that VM haven't pursued Wurl TV yet - this would be a further indication that it was taking its TV content deficiencies more seriously.

Surely, for VM this should be a no brainer. There are no affiliate fees or upfront costs for cable operators to carry any channels offered through the Wurl Network, and these channels are not currently available on Sky.

Wurl’s TV Channel Line-Up looks like this:

Streaming News Network – 24-hour news covering domestic and international news, politics, sports, entertainment, business and tech. Streaming News Network brings together content from many of the world’s top digital news producers.

The Sports Feed – Wurl’s 24-hour sports news, covering teams, players and scores in all major sports from around the world.

The Alt Channel – Millennial-targeted programming covering a wide range of topics and interests from leading digital media producers.

Baeble Music TV –The inside scoop on bands, artists and music. Exclusive Concerts, Sessions and Interviews give you a front row seat to some of the best music and bands of today. Mumford & Sons, Bloc Party, Chvrches and hundreds more.

Popcornflix – a 24-hour movie channel, produced in partnership with Screen Media, the largest independent distributor of motion pictures to the TV industry. Popcornflix features popular movies for all age groups, from major studios and independent producers, covering all genres including family, kids, comedy, horror and documentary.

This would indeed be a good addition to vms line up, the only tv service i've heard coming to vm v6 boxes only was pluto tv but that rumour seems to have gone quiet for now.

Dave42 17-03-2017 13:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35890426)
Last time I looked the Murdoch's were pretty much pulling the strings at Sky now.

he have to much power if he get full control of sky

muppetman11 17-03-2017 13:14

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave42 (Post 35890448)
he have to much power if he get full control of sky

They pretty much run it as they see fit now. On a purely personal note I couldn't care less whether it's approved or not.

denphone 17-03-2017 13:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35890452)
They pretty much run it as they see fit now. On a purely personal note I couldn't care less whether it's approved or not.

What not on your regular commission anymore MM.;):D

muppetman11 17-03-2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890453)
What not on your regular commission anymore MM.;):D

Put it one way if I was I'd be behind yours from Virgin by a good few million.;)

denphone 17-03-2017 13:32

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 35890454)
Put it one way if I was I'd be behind yours from Virgin by a good few million.;)

Good grief there might be a job at the sensationalist Daily Mail for you yet with such wild claims.;):D

theone2k10 17-03-2017 13:33

Quote:

Agreed.

1andrew1 17-03-2017 15:26

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890455)
Good grief there might be a job at the sensationalist Daily Mail for you yet with such wild claims.;):D

These days, I think it's better trying the London Evening Standard. :)

OLD BOY 17-03-2017 18:29

Quote:

I agree - like him or loathe him, Rupert should be allowed to have control of the company he founded.

He deserves credit for transforming the TV industry in this country - without him, I dare say we would have been a five channel country for at least another decade.

If you feel strongly about it one way or the other you have a small window of opportunity to express your love or hate for the man: 30 March.

However, as the result is a foregone conclusion, I wouldn't waste my time if I were you.

Now, what's coming soon to Virgin Media TV? Any more Virgin exclusives, anyone?....

http://www.digitaltveurope.net/67481...for-sky-probe/

Richc1977 17-03-2017 23:09

........ changing the subject but just to note I think we have a first this weekend.

3 premier League games are being shown via the XL/Full house pack this weekend. 2 on BT and 1 on Mix.

With the 42 BT games and Mix having shown 5 games so far and 3 more confirmed to come (and maybe more in May) that's a minimum of 50 this season via XL.