Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Sky TV, Sky+ & Sky Q (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   SKY+ warranty upgrade (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33617859)

Overkill 16-07-2007 13:30

SKY+ warranty upgrade

Sky are bombarding me with phone calls at the moment to get me to upgrade the warranty on my Sky + box.

The first 12 months are almost up, and they are offering me another 12 months for £99. My brother told me that it costs £60 to have an engineer out and get a replacement box...So surely this is a bad deal, no?

handyman 16-07-2007 13:45

Re: SKY+ warranty upgrade

I would not bother , If it all goes pete tong you can get a replacement box on ebay and there are people doing them with upgraded hard drives too.

Bulky 16-07-2007 19:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by Overkill (Post 34351750)
Sky are bombarding me with phone calls at the moment to get me to upgrade the warranty on my Sky + box.

The first 12 months are almost up, and they are offering me another 12 months for £99. My brother told me that it costs £60 to have an engineer out and get a replacement box...So surely this is a bad deal, no?

definately do not take up an extended warranty , you will get calls from third party repair places as well , sky wanted £65 to replace the hard drive in my sky+ box as it was out of warranty , did it myself for about £30 :) . Have also hears a lot of the third party people that ring you are bogus (think i read this on a 'digital spy' thread somewhere)

LSainsbury 16-07-2007 19:53

It's a rip mate - I've had a couple of flyers through the post with 30pt font red letters - WARNING - YOUR WARRANTY IS ABOUT TO EXPIRE etc...

I shredded them!

Tezcatlipoca 16-07-2007 20:54

Avoid, as already mentioned.

smiffing 16-07-2007 21:15

When I had Sky and the warranty was about to expire, they kept bombarding me with offers that I refused, soon after my picture became pixelated and stuttery, I phoned them and they told me that my warranty was finished and that I would have to pay for an engineer, I informed them that it had only started when I had refused their warranty offer..............hence the Virgin Media(Telewest) install.

Shaun 16-07-2007 21:29

Are you seriously telling me you think sky degraded your picture because you turned down their extended warranty? :erm:

smiffing 16-07-2007 22:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shaun (Post 34352152)
Are you seriously telling me you think sky degraded your picture because you turned down their extended warranty? :erm:

No, maybe it was just a coincidence, it only happened here and at the last place I lived at though, you tell me.

Overkill 24-07-2007 11:37

Cheers for the reponse guys...

Finally told them no last night. During discussion though they did warn me that other companies offer servies, but they don't recognise them, so if the box goes wrong after one of these 3rd party bods has been at it, I'm screwed.

Bit worrying though, how my information is 'leaked' to these 3rd party companies. Name and address is one thing, but details about my account is soemthing else.

Thanks again.