Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Gaming Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Keyboard or gamepad ? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=850)

bopdude 09-07-2003 14:46

Keyboard or gamepad ?

I was just wondering seeing as sometimes there are that many different key strokes involved in some games, what do you all use and do \ can you mix and match ?

I used to have the a Thrustmaster firestorm but it fell to pieces from to much ( aggresive ) use ...lol, now I use the keyboard \ mouse set up but do miss a gamepad although the mouse is easy to use ( might \ will have to invest in an optical cordless )

gary_580 09-07-2003 14:47

ive got a PS2 controller hooked up to my PC. Works a treat

bopdude 09-07-2003 14:55

Quote:

Originally posted by gary_580
ive got a PS2 controller hooked up to my PC. Works a treat
Do you still need to use the keyboard at all ??
I dont have a ps2 so i would not know the button config on them, are the programable ?

EDIT :- how do they connect ?

Stuart 09-07-2003 15:11

Prefer keyboard. Don't like gamepads. If I had to use a gamepad, i'd use the X-Box one. PS2 ones are to fiddly to use, and I don't like Gamecube ones either.

Ramrod 09-07-2003 15:30

I use a keyboard and mouse. I assign the keys near the arrow buttons for all the jump/crouch/use actions. Arrow keys are for movement. If I need to use more functions I assign them to the num. keypad. I hate the default keyboard layout that you get with games.
btw bopdude, get the logitec mx700 cordless mouse. Its great.:D ....providing that you are right handed

bopdude 09-07-2003 15:37

Quote:

Originally posted by Ramrod
.btw bopdude, get the logitec mx700 cordless mouse. Its great.:D ....providing that you are right handed
Thanks Ramrod, it looks like a good solid mouse, I'll have to investigate more :)

Ramrod 09-07-2003 15:55

Quote:

Originally posted by bopdude
Thanks Ramrod, it looks like a good solid mouse, I'll have to investigate more :)
I think I got mine from Amazon, approx £70 but worth it

gary_580 09-07-2003 17:15

Quote:

Do you still need to use the keyboard at all ??
I dont have a ps2 so i would not know the button config on them, are the programable ?

EDIT :- how do they connect ?

yep you can program all the buttons and both sticks on the controller just like you can for any other joystick.

And the rumbel and vibrate work too. Pretty cool really, just have to get a USB to PS2 Joystick converter for about £10 think i got mine from www.jandaman.com

albone 09-07-2003 21:38

Just use keyboard and mouse find thats plenty good enough for what games I play!:smokin:

deejaya 11-07-2003 13:09

Mx700 is the best mouse I have ever used, but I do forget to put it on charge sometimes and have to scramble for my camera's batteries :D

I also use the keyboard, WASD (for more keys), but a mate of mine uses a Nostromo speedpad and swears by it. I might get one cos it looks like it could be useful sometimes, not sure if my Saitek X45 throttle would do the same job though.

Ramrod 11-07-2003 13:54

Quote:

Originally posted by deejaya
Mx700 is the best mouse I have ever used, but I do forget to put it on charge sometimes and have to scramble for my camera's batteries :D
I occasionally leave mine off the cradle all night and it's still fine in the morning.

Quote:

a mate of mine uses a Nostromo speedpad and swears by it. I might get one cos it looks like it could be useful sometimes,
I almost got one a while back but then I reconsidered because I don't really need it as the mouse/keyboard combo is adequate (and I don't need any more clutter either)

deejaya 11-07-2003 14:11

Quote:

I occasionally leave mine off the cradle all night and it's still fine in the morning.
Yeah, I should have added "repeatedly". One night doesn't usually hurt, two is sometimes doable depending how much fragging I have done. IU don't think assigning the mouse button to movement helps. ;)

bopdude 11-07-2003 14:18

Just got a leaflet through the door for Aldi's, I know what your gonna say but I gotta check it out. A cordless keyboard \ mouse combo for £20.00 and the mouse is optical, I know you get what you pay for but as I said, I gotta check it out for that price :)

Ramrod 11-07-2003 14:31

Quote:

Just got a leaflet through the door for Aldi's, I know what your gonna say but I gotta check it out. A cordless keyboard \ mouse combo for £20.00 and the mouse is optical, I know you get what you pay for but as I said, I gotta check it out for that price :)
Don't say we didn't warn you.....:D

bopdude 11-07-2003 14:34

Quote:

Don't say we didn't warn you.....:D
Noted and logged .......:D