Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   VOD : Netflix/Streaming Services (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33695779)

jfman 04-04-2020 11:46

Re: Netflix/Streaming Services

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36030313)
Until you get adverse weather conditions......

We watched it live on the BBC i-Player, actually. Picture perfect.

Never had adverse weather on cable myself, can’t speak for others.

muppetman11 04-04-2020 11:52

Quote:

Originally Posted by jfman (Post 36030324)

Hardly get it on satellite , I can count on one hand the number of instances weve had in a year and they're usually during thunderstorms with heavy rain.

denphone 04-04-2020 11:53

Quote:

20 years we have been cable customers and apart from the rare outage over that time its been perfectly fine.

Legendkiller2k 04-04-2020 12:47

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36030321)
Apparently they say its going to look very realistic according to the racing trade paper this morning.

I have a horse racing sim game on pc, it looks very realistic if that's anything to go by then racing fans will be in for a treat later.

denphone 04-04-2020 12:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legendkiller2k (Post 36030358)
I have a horse racing sim game on pc, it looks very realistic if that's anything to go by then racing fans will be in for a treat later.

Not Starters Orders is it.;)

Legendkiller2k 04-04-2020 13:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 36030360)
Not Starters Orders is it.;)

Indeed it is.

Chris 04-04-2020 15:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36030313)
Until you get adverse weather conditions......

We watched it live on the BBC i-Player, actually. Picture perfect.

If bad weather jinxes your aerial or dish, then it’s misaligned. And getting that fixed is a far quicker and easier process than getting your ISP to pay openreach to trace and fix a broadband-killing line fault.

Raider999 04-04-2020 16:43

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36030388)
If bad weather jinxes your aerial or dish, then it’s misaligned. And getting that fixed is a far quicker and easier process than getting your ISP to pay openreach to trace and fix a broadband-killing line fault.

Torrential rain will result in signal break-up/failure wether your dish is perfectly aligned or not

Mad Max 04-04-2020 16:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36030407)
Torrential rain will result in signal break-up/failure wether your dish is perfectly aligned or not

Correct..

Chris 04-04-2020 17:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by Raider999 (Post 36030407)

I know a thing or two about torrential rain living in the highlands. My experience is that it certainly can do that, but it is exceptionally rare. The rain has got to be extremely heavy. I mean tropical heavy, in a way it never does in the UK for more than a few minutes at a time.

The only time we had anything like regular issues with poor weather affecting our signal, it was fixed by a 10-minute visit from our local electrician, who also carries the gear to do dish alignments.

muppetman11 04-04-2020 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36030416)
I know a thing or two about torrential rain living in the highlands. My experience is that it certainly can do that, but it is exceptionally rare. The rain has got to be extremely heavy. I mean tropical heavy, in a way it never does in the UK for more than a few minutes at a time.

The only time we had anything like regular issues with poor weather affecting our signal, it was fixed by a 10-minute visit from our local electrician, who also carries the gear to do dish alignments.

Completely agree Chris that's pretty much my experience , only the real torrential downpours are the only time weve had issues and then it's been brief loss of picture.

Mad Max 04-04-2020 18:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetman11 (Post 36030419)
Completely agree Chris that's pretty much my experience , only the real torrential downpours are the only time weve had issues and then it's been brief loss of picture.

That may just become a more regular occurence!

OLD BOY 04-04-2020 18:15

Quote:

No-one does. I was referring to the impact of High pressure weather systems and their impact on transmitted broadcasts.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36030388)

My aerial is absolutely fine, but I am aware that a lot of people get poor reception in high pressure.

Chris 04-04-2020 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36030422)
No-one does. I was referring to the impact of High pressure weather systems and their impact on transmitted broadcasts.

---------- Post added at 18:15 ---------- Previous post was at 18:14 ----------

My aerial is absolutely fine, but I am aware that a lot of people get poor reception in high pressure.

Again, record high pressure last weekend - we saw around 1050 on our barometer - no noticeable effect on our satellite signal.

OLD BOY 04-04-2020 18:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris (Post 36030424)
Again, record high pressure last weekend - we saw around 1050 on our barometer - no noticeable effect on our satellite signal.

To my knowledge, high pressure only affects aerial-received broadcasts from transmitters, but this may depend on how far away you live from your nearest transmitter.