Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Webspace, E-Mail & Browsing Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=80)
-   -   How long can I use my ntlworld email address for? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33712525)

gus0898uk 28-02-2024 13:10

How long can I use my ntlworld email address for?

I have had one or two minor problems with emails since O2 got involved.
Phoning 150 wasn't alot of help, but she has put a ticket in for me which takes about 5 days.

I have had to set up a non VM email address (gmail for me) so VM can contact me, I get the impression that this is the thin end of the wedge and I have to start slowly transferring all my contacts to a new non VM address.
How long have I got before the axe falls on virginmedia.com?
Thanks Guys.

Paul 28-02-2024 14:01

Re: How long can I use my ntlworld email address for?

I'm confused, are you saying you have left VM ?

daveeb 28-02-2024 14:50

He's saying VM insist on you using a non VM e-mail addy when using their services. As the OP suggests it does look like VM are going to pull the rug entirely on their e-mail service sooner or later. It's not possible to create a new address with them any more, new customers don't get an e-mail address at all and VM have made it a little protracted to access existing VM e-mail on third party apps i.e.anything but webmail.

OLD BOY 28-02-2024 17:28

I’ve been blocked on two of my VM email addresses (although one has subsequently been restored), and of course not long ago all the emails went down and some didn’t get retrieved for weeks. If I were a cynic, I’d say they were trying to drive people away.

I’ve already jumped.

daveeb 28-02-2024 18:07

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLD BOY (Post 36171082)
I’ve been blocked on two of my VM email addresses (although one has subsequently been restored), and of course not long ago all the emails went down and some didn’t get retrieved for weeks. If I were a cynic, I’d say they were trying to drive people away.

I’ve already jumped.

Definitely and they're not really being very subtle about it. All the households older ntlworld addresses are compromised and floating around on the dark web according to haveibeenpwned so I guess it's good riddance. I accelerated my move away after the lost e-mail debacle last summer.

Mr K 28-02-2024 20:03

Bizarre, how much can it really cost them? And how much aggro if they withdraw the service? Customers rely on their email addresses, the no of people and accounts/lost vital emails if they suddenly withdraw it.

It must be run on a Sinclair ZX81, given how flaky it is. Given they are increasing prices by 9%, maybe they could invest in a ZX Spectrum (48k)?

I've made contingencies with Gmail/Outlook addresses. But it would still be a hassle to change.

OLD BOY 28-02-2024 20:12

I think it is pretty poor. The advantages of signing up with Virgin broadband is that you also get the ability to sign up to Virgin TV, a landline and an email service.

As these advantages are diminished or cancelled one by one, it will surely lose broadband business. Virgin TV is the only thing that prevents me from moving to City Fibre.

daveeb 28-02-2024 22:21

I believe if/when I change any part of the package then Maxit no longer includes TNT. I think once that happens I might well see what else there is on offer after almost 30 years of cable services.

gus0898uk 29-02-2024 09:55

daveeb Many thanks for your input, I realise my OP was a bit jumbled. :)
It looks like the seperation from VM will be death by a thousand cuts.

As someone has posted, it is a huge hassel to change your email address to every person or business you have ever dealt with.
I actually felt quite good having a ntlworld.com email