Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media News Discussion (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Virgin Media prices are going up again... (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33705209)

pip08456 03-08-2017 18:59

Re: Virgin Media prices are going up again...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35910653)
Can anyone confirm that this rise is a get out of your contract free situation? I don't want out just checking if i can legitimately use the 'thinking of leaving' to barter.

Any price rise is a "get out of contract free" situation.

Gavin-D 03-08-2017 19:25

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kabaal (Post 35910653)
Can anyone confirm that this rise is a get out of your contract free situation? I don't want out just checking if i can legitimately use the 'thinking of leaving' to barter.

Yes whatever you have if it's affected by a rise you can leave for free within 30 days of receiving confirmation from VM (letter or email)

Arthurgray50@blu 03-08-2017 19:34

This might be the case. BUT, some customers will stay with VM and say its value for money.

I cannot see VM justify the price increase, with NO additional channels worth watching

Wild Oscar 03-08-2017 20:27

I think it's going to be Vivid 50 on it's own for me then down the line, I've got all 3 services at the mo on a contract that started back in November last year so this will be a good time to junk the TV and phone (which I don't use, no handset even ...)

One the one hand I'll be paying slightly more a month, but I'll be saving the yearly phone line saver payment ... swings and roundabouts eh?

Kabaal 03-08-2017 21:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by pip08456 (Post 35910662)
Any price rise is a "get out of contract free" situation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35910668)
Yes whatever you have if it's affected by a rise you can leave for free within 30 days of receiving confirmation from VM (letter or email)

Cheers for that.

I can honestly say i never care about the price rises other than them enabling me to get a decent deal each year. I'm surprised at how annoyed some users seem to get about them on this forum considering most if not all of them do the same. Outrage on others behalf i suppose.

already on a sweet deal that ends in September, time to get another ;)

Inactive Digital 03-08-2017 21:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wild Oscar (Post 35910679)
I think it's going to be Vivid 50 on it's own for me then down the line, I've got all 3 services at the mo on a contract that started back in November last year so this will be a good time to junk the TV and phone (which I don't use, no handset even ...)

One the one hand I'll be paying slightly more a month, but I'll be saving the yearly phone line saver payment ... swings and roundabouts eh?

That's exactly what I did this time last year. I had the Big Kahuna package but switched the TV to Sky (got a great offer on Money Saving Expert) and transferred the landline to a voip provider.

Cons:
Initially missed some of the Tivo software features
Lost BT Sport (though I rarely caught a live game anyway)
Lost inclusive mobile minutes (though use our own mobiles instead)

Pros:
Sky Q box performs much quicker than the Tivo box I had
Gained Sky Cinema (I make a lot more use of that than I did BT Sport)
Saved around £20 per month.

So much for getting better value by bundling your services with one provider. Which reminds me, it's time to start the annual haggling games with retentions!

I would have switched broadband away too, except I can't get a BT line without digging up my driveway.

Gavin-D 04-08-2017 14:23

Has anyone had a letter or email yet about the rise?

Any decent offers for those phoning up to cancel?

japitts 05-08-2017 13:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35909993)
Virgin Media to raise their prices again..:(

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0..._prices_again/

Rights, wrongs and package prices aside... this probably explains the two "you're getting great value" glossy booklets we've been sent recently.

I should have seen that coming!

denphone 05-08-2017 13:40

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gavin-D (Post 35910772)
Has anyone had a letter or email yet about the rise?

Any decent offers for those phoning up to cancel?

Nothing as of this moment..

nialli 05-08-2017 14:14

It's a bit early for formal notification - it's the first week of August and the price rise isn't until 1st November, that's almost three months away.

denphone 05-08-2017 14:56

My contract finishes near the end of the year for so Virgin and l are likely to be in for some tough talking..

Gavin-D 05-08-2017 15:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by nialli (Post 35910905)
It's a bit early for formal notification - it's the first week of August and the price rise isn't until 1st November, that's almost three months away.

Some will see the rise on October's bill

daveeb 05-08-2017 15:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35910917)
My contract finishes near the end of the year for so Virgin and l are likely to be in for some tough talking..

Despite always being polite I find the success of the negotiation seems to depend on what side of the bed the person you are speaking to got out of that day.

joglynne 05-08-2017 15:36

I have seen a copy of a letter informing a customer of a £3.99 increase and the letter provides a link regarding a V6 box .......
Quote:

We'd love you to enjoy our smallest, smartest, fastest box yet, on us - you just have to pay the £20 activation fee and have a HD TV. Record 6 shows at once, then stream them around your home. Visit https://keepup.virginmedia.com/box-swap-v6 before 31st October to claim this offer online.
VM also tell customers that
Quote:

We hope you want to carry on enjoying all this with us. But if not, don't worry - you can change or cancel your package at any time before 30th September 2017 without paying any cancellation charges. Just click here for more information.

denphone 05-08-2017 15:37

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveeb (Post 35910922)
Despite always being polite I find the success of the negotiation seems to depend on what side of the bed the person you are speaking to got out of that day.

l will always be polite to them but if l need to negotiate with a lot of tough talking l will as its them who need to keep my custom at the end of the day.