Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Current Affairs (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   Brexit: Article 50 Has Been Triggered ! (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704414)

RizzyKing 20-03-2017 00:20

Re: Brexit

Shocker the EU supporters saying it's fine for the EU not to do something they then condemn the UK government for, but because it's the rules it's ok for the EU what a joke. But using your logic as we are still a member of the EU we are doing nothing wrong either we're following the rules so perhaps this is one of those no blame situations which are such a pain for some people who have an axe to grind. Roll on the next two years and if the EU supporters are not happy with whatever agreement I'm sure the EU will welcome them with open arms as they emigrate from the terrible country the UK will become without the EU i won't hold my breath on that of course.

TheDaddy 20-03-2017 01:39

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35890807)
Shocker the EU supporters saying it's fine for the EU not to do something they then condemn the UK government for, but because it's the rules it's ok for the EU what a joke. But using your logic as we are still a member of the EU we are doing nothing wrong either we're following the rules so perhaps this is one of those no blame situations which are such a pain for some people who have an axe to grind. Roll on the next two years and if the EU supporters are not happy with whatever agreement I'm sure the EU will welcome them with open arms as they emigrate from the terrible country the UK will become without the EU i won't hold my breath on that of course.

Shocker, brextremist not telling the truth

I don't think I criticised anyone, just offered my own personal view on it, for what little that's worth. I will be very critical if it comes to pass that we haven't been using this time wisely cozying up to individual nations during the pre triggering phase and have been solely relying on threatening Europe with the UK becoming a tax haven as a plan.

Oh and I've already got the option of a European passport so they couldn't stop me even if they wanted to, not that it'll come to that.

RizzyKing 20-03-2017 01:49

Where have i lied I've admitted often on here brexit is not going to be easy for a few years and I've also stated it will be hard brexit mainly because that's the only type of exit article 50 allows and you might not like it but the UK government is not at fault on this issue. We were ready to sort this out before negotiations were started to let those EU citizens living and working here to have a little more security and the EU said no, now all of a sudden the UK government is meant to make unilateral concessions on the issue with no gaurantee of a similar concession at any point by the EU.

TheDaddy 20-03-2017 02:33

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35890814)
Where have i lied I've admitted often on here brexit is not going to be easy for a few years and I've also stated it will be hard brexit mainly because that's the only type of exit article 50 allows and you might not like it but the UK government is not at fault on this issue. We were ready to sort this out before negotiations were started to let those EU citizens living and working here to have a little more security and the EU said no, now all of a sudden the UK government is meant to make unilateral concessions on the issue with no gaurantee of a similar concession at any point by the EU.

Well you sorted fibbed a bit when you said I was being critical, I wasn't nor was I apportioning blame, I can see why no agreement was made for reasons previously stated, I do think we could've seized the initiative if we had made the concession because it would've cost us nothing and meant nothing if it had the aforementioned reciprocal caveat added. I believe it would've made our negotiating position stronger and taken some of the nastiness out of the talks which are going to be tough enough as it is. The government chose a different tact and I'm not attacking them for it, I'm hoping they're right and I'm wrong.

One thing that has just struck me is the importance we've placed on people who don't live here and don't contribute against another group that do live here and do contribute not least through their taxes, just a thought.

RizzyKing 20-03-2017 02:57

Your assuming it was wholly aimed at you as though you were the only one that commented and while i could have made it clearer it certainly wasn't dishonest nor did i deserve that tag but whatever. Fact is the UK wanted to sort this quickly and were prepared too but couldn't i don't see how that means they are in the wrong and i certainly don't think it was right for some to suggest we should do it anyway given it's a subject the EU wants as part of the full negotiations. Andrew's point that the EU is playing by the rules is a very thin copout and as i said if it's the rules then again the UK is doing nothing wrong as at this time we are still a member state and bound by the same rules.

TheDaddy 20-03-2017 03:28

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35890816)
Your assuming it was wholly aimed at you as though you were the only one that commented and while i could have made it clearer it certainly wasn't dishonest nor did i deserve that tag but whatever. Fact is the UK wanted to sort this quickly and were prepared too but couldn't i don't see how that means they are in the wrong and i certainly don't think it was right for some to suggest we should do it anyway given it's a subject the EU wants as part of the full negotiations. Andrew's point that the EU is playing by the rules is a very thin copout and as i said if it's the rules then again the UK is doing nothing wrong as at this time we are still a member state and bound by the same rules.

Your right it was unfair to call you dishonest, however I'm not so sure it's a copout, I don't know for sure but I'd suggest the reason the EU want to play it straight down the line is because it plays into our hands if they don't, imo our best strategy is divide and conquer, to get these little countries self interest piqued, it's the sort of diplomacy we used to be famous for and kept an empire going for generations when others relied more on subjugation. It's been a long time since we conducted affairs like that, we've let the EU do if for us for decades, perhaps we're not up to that level anymore and perhaps Mrs May knows it. Why do you think the EU won't play ball?

RizzyKing 20-03-2017 04:08

I'm already certain that whatever deal may be reached will not be ratified by all existing EU member states and I'm also certain our government knows that as well and the EU negotiating team. First 3-6 months of negotiations will be mainly for the respective parties image, things will start getting nasty after the initial 3-6 months and both parties in the remaining 3-6 months will do their best to be seen to be trying to get an agreement that ultimately will fail and a complete hard brexit will be the outcome. On the day we actually leave the UK will announce a raft of trade agreements and trade free initiatives that will take a while to fully get up and running but will ultimately prove economically beneficial to the UK year on year for 5-10 years.

That's my belief of the process as things stand at the minute time will tell just got to wait and see.

TheDaddy 20-03-2017 04:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35890818)
I'm already certain that whatever deal may be reached will not be ratified by all existing EU member states and I'm also certain our government knows that as well and the EU negotiating team. First 3-6 months of negotiations will be mainly for the respective parties image, things will start getting nasty after the initial 3-6 months and both parties in the remaining 3-6 months will do their best to be seen to be trying to get an agreement that ultimately will fail and a complete hard brexit will be the outcome. On the day we actually leave the UK will announce a raft of trade agreements and trade free initiatives that will take a while to fully get up and running but will ultimately prove economically beneficial to the UK year on year for 5-10 years.

That's my belief of the process as things stand at the minute time will tell just got to wait and see.

That's interesting, I've not thought so much of the big picture but of each tiny aspect of it as and when tyey come up, I don't think I can envisage what it'll look like in the end but if things carry on as they are we can forget about a deal and imho that might not be to bad, there's a lot of opportunity out there to be had, I just don't like this recurring theme of our little island becoming a tax haven, that will benefit no one except the few at the very top

RizzyKing 20-03-2017 04:42

I think the UK will only become a tax haven in that our levels of taxation will be lower then those in the EU, brexit was a vote against globalisation and the few benefitting at the expense of the many it would be political suicide for any party to start a rush to the bottom. I agree no deal will be better then the type of deal all members of the EU would ratify and that's how i see it going despite the unrest it will cause in a small section of society.

denphone 20-03-2017 05:48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35890768)
To be fair. I'm despairing at the conservatives atm.....and I'm a paid up party member. :mis:
Still, could be worse......I could be a member of the labour party :D

To be honest they are all as bad as each other which by the time your big next milestone comes up you might start to realise RR.:)

TheDaddy 20-03-2017 06:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by RizzyKing (Post 35890820)
I think the UK will only become a tax haven in that our levels of taxation will be lower then those in the EU, brexit was a vote against globalisation and the few benefitting at the expense of the many it would be political suicide for any party to start a rush to the bottom. I agree no deal will be better then the type of deal all members of the EU would ratify and that's how i see it going despite the unrest it will cause in a small section of society.

There are many different forms and types of tax haven, none benefit their host countries particularly though and imo we've already gone to far down that road.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7527961.html

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-bri...-idUKKBN1601UT

passingbat 20-03-2017 07:23

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1andrew1 (Post 35890795)
I've provided my response.

Which, worryingly, reveals a lot about your allegiances and sense of fairness.

Damien 20-03-2017 11:36

Article 50 to be issued on March 29th (next Wednesday).

Mick 20-03-2017 11:42

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35890838)
Article 50 to be issued on March 29th (next Wednesday).

:cleader::cleader::cleader::cleader::cleader:

:hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper::hyper:

and if I couldn't make that more clearer.....

Ramrod 20-03-2017 14:15

Quote:

Originally Posted by denphone (Post 35890821)
To be honest they are all as bad as each other which by the time your big next milestone comes up you might start to realise RR.:)

True, but at least the conservatives don't hold up Venezuela as a shining beacon of how to run a country :D