Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8 (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33698080)

Tinky 31-01-2023 08:45

Re: Moans and Pet Hates - Part 8

Ok so I'll accept the toilet seat broke on it's own :rolleyes:, so where is the missing piece of plastic, since it is on the outer edge it would have fallen on the floor? :shrug:

tweetiepooh 31-01-2023 09:29

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36144762)
Even if you don't proceed with a claim if you've told the insurance company they'll treat it as an incident, and increase your premium. Any excuse for those guys.

They did if for me when I had a slight bodywork damage on my car. Decided to get it repaired myself in the end as incredibly they wanted to right it off. Got it repaired for £600, car is is worth £3.5k. Later learned they patch up these 'cat d' right offs and sell on at a nice profit.
Scam artists !

I can understand a rise in price but not that much. I checked the Meerkats using last years details amending with this claim (apparently it's cost around £1,000) and am getting quotes around half that. It wouldn't be so bad but although they did fix a damaged drain it was a water main causing the puddles in the kitchen and we got that fixed through Dynoplumb and BG. (The private plumber Admiral insist we call in at our own expense didn't find anything.)
If they had upped the premiums even say up by £100 we likely would stay with them.

heero_yuy 09-02-2023 16:57

Everybody seems to want money off me at the moment. :(

Like Blackadder said "I feel like a pelican, every way I look there's an enormous bill infront of me."

SnoopZ 09-02-2023 21:12

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36145536)
Everybody seems to want money off me at the moment. :(

Like Blackadder said "I feel like a pelican, every way I look there's an enormous bill infront of me."

In case you forgot you owe me £25...... :D

Mr K 22-02-2023 17:52

Never thought I'd see people panic buying salad products...
They'll not eat it if course, and never usually buy it but because there's a shortage, panic buy time !

denphone 22-02-2023 17:55

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36146678)
They'll not eat it if course, and never usually buy it but because there's a shortage, panic buy time !

Strange thing is we had a online order delivered yesterday and all the salad items were on there as we expected most of them to be unavailable.

heero_yuy 22-02-2023 17:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 36146678)

When ever there's a shortage the panic buying starts. In this case frosts, snow and floods in Spain and morocco have impacted the growing of salad vegetables. The small 10% or so that would normally be produced in the the UK have not been planted as the suppliers cannot afford to heat the greenhouses.

It'll take time for normal supplies to be resumed.

Hugh 22-02-2023 21:36

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36146680)
When ever there's a shortage the panic buying starts. In this case frosts, snow and floods in Spain and morocco have impacted the growing of salad vegetables. The small 10% or so that would normally be produced in the the UK have not been planted as the suppliers cannot afford to heat the greenhouses.

You may find this of interest...

https://twitter.com/chrislowndes/sta...170706434?s=20

Quote:

In January 2021, a continuity agreement between UK and Morocco came into force, replicating the EU-Morocco agreement we had just left.

This was lauded by UKGov as an example of how post-Brexit Britain would bypass the EU for food security

Soon, newspapers were claiming a 'huge win' for Brexit because a brand new freight ferry service by United Seaways was 'up-&-running' between Tangiers and Poole, providing a weekly service bypassing the need for trucks to drive through Spain & France

https://www.niferry.co.uk/tag/united-seaways/

Quote:

Daily Express
Brexit buster! Huge win as new sea route bypassing EU mainland 'up and running'

A NEW sea route bypassing the EU mainland is up and running in a huge win for Brexit Britain.
By MICHAEL CURZON
20:57, Mon, Jan 10, 2022
Meanwhile, UKGov was bragging about how trade with Morocco had increased dramatically, and that now, 25% of tomatoes consumed in UK originated in Morocco

Quote:

UK in Morocco
@UKinMorocco
·
Aug 22, 2021
Did you know that 25% of tomatoes eaten in the UK come from Morocco?��

That's not all! Since January 2021, food exports from Morroco to Great Britain have increased by almost 40%.

Let us know in the comments your favourite dishes made with Moroccan tomatoes.
Only problem - the 'up-&-running' freight ferry service had never commenced. A complete fantasy, with a Gibraltar-based shell company creating a UK Ltd Company, with a promise they never intended to fill, and £35k debt which has since been written off.

Fast forward to February 2023, and after a sudden cold weather spell across Europe, combined with heavy rains in Spain, EU-based wholesalers turn to less affected sources for early winter harvests of tomatoes. Places like Morocco

This is a UK problem, as our Moroccan tomatoes are not supplied by EU-based wholesalers, but by British importers

With no direct freight ferry, UK importers have to manage direct logistics from Morocco to UK retailers, crossing two EU borders en route

But there are no such shortages on other European supermarket shelves, as EU-wide supply chains link various N & W African, Turkish and EU farms to EU-trade hubs, where EU-wide packaging takes place

It is easier & more profitable for Moroccan farmers to sell produce to EU-wide wholesalers, rather than small, unprofitable UK export options

Mr K 22-02-2023 22:11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hugh (Post 36146693)

You're not saying Brexit's to blame Hugh? You're not allowed to say that. The thought police will get you ! It must be immigrants or Corbyn or remainers or civil servants or the weather, never Brexit, ever....

TheDaddy 23-02-2023 02:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 36146680)

Plus of course whenever there is a shortage of anything we'll be last in line because it's easier and cheaper to deliver to other countries first

Maggy 23-02-2023 09:00

Bah! It's not salad season.It's stew,casserole,pie,soup and curry season.

SnoopZ 23-02-2023 09:59

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maggy (Post 36146713)
Bah! It's not salad season.It's stew,casserole,pie,soup and curry season.

My work lunch says different.

denphone 23-02-2023 10:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by SnoopZ (Post 36146715)
My work lunch says different.

And some people have salad because of their dietary needs.

tweetiepooh 23-02-2023 10:25

But fresh tomatoes in a curry/stew etc can also be really nice and better if you only want a small amount and not lots of juice from a can.

Tinky 23-02-2023 12:12

I'm sure my Alexa is deaf :D

Also I knew it was just too good to be true, Bulb are the pits, 3 agents have contacted me, 2 have told me different credit amounts, and offered refunds, and the 3rd says it was just a draft bill (whatever that is) and we are only £189 in credit. I have asked for a full breakdown of payments and fuel used. How long do you think I will wait for an answer? If at all. :rolleyes: