Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media TV Service (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=11)
-   -   V+ : V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo? (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33701998)

AFC 19-12-2015 00:42

V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

Hi All

First post, as have just joined.

I have just received Tivo and installed it, in place of my previous V+ box.

We had a number of recordings still unwatched on the V+ box, which we hoped to see.

Prior to disconnecting the V+ box, I disconnected its white "IN" cable from Virgin, and checked whether I could then still view and play back my recordings. I found that I could.

I then went ahead and installed the Tivo.

When, a few days later, I tried to fire up my old V+ box, purely to play back these already-recorded programmes, it would not even boot up, much less display the menu of recorded programmes for me to select from.

Have I effectively now "lost" these old programmes, locked away on the drive of the V+, but inaccessible?

Any advice or work-arounds welcome.

DJSADERS 19-12-2015 17:13

Re: V+ recordings inaccessible after replacement by Tivo?

If as part of your upgrade the TiVo was a replacement to the vPlus then they will want it back, and the vPlus would have been cancelled / deactivated.

If you are still paying for the vPlus box then you will need to get the box reactivated to access the recordings

passingbat 19-12-2015 18:02

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJSADERS (Post 35813595)
If as part of your upgrade the TiVo was a replacement to the vPlus then they will want it back, and the vPlus would have been cancelled / deactivated.

If you are still paying for the vPlus box then you will need to get the box reactivated to access the recordings

I believe that they only want the V+ back if it is a Samsung, as that is capable of mpeg 4. The SA boxes can only do mpeg 2, so are of no further use.

DJSADERS 19-12-2015 18:18

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35813605)
I believe that they only want the V+ back if it is a Samsung, as that is capable of mpeg 4. The SA boxes can only do mpeg 2, so are of no further use.

Yeah thats right... we still install the Samsung V+

djmagnifique 19-12-2015 19:27

I think what the OP is trying to do is play the recordings from the V+ box without it being connected to the Virgin network by the white coax cable. Don't VM boxes have to be connected to the network for them to work even just to watch recordings?

jb66 19-12-2015 20:20

Virgin disable the vplus features on the old box when the tivo is installed, its not a doorstop

nodrogd 20-12-2015 12:08

Quote:

Originally Posted by passingbat (Post 35813605)

The official line from the VM Community Forum team is that only TiVO's now need to be returned on the TV eqiupment side.

http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/...t/true#M127633

BenMcr 20-12-2015 14:31

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmagnifique (Post 35813623)
I think what the OP is trying to do is play the recordings from the V+ box without it being connected to the Virgin network by the white coax cable. Don't VM boxes have to be connected to the network for them to work even just to watch recordings?

Virgin's PVRs retain some functionality if the cable is disconnected - as long they are left powered on.

They work like that so if they're is an area or cable fault, you can continue to access your recordings until it's fixed.

However if the boxes are turned off, then they require an active subscription and connection in place during start up, otherwise they won't work.

jb66 20-12-2015 17:21

Quote:

Originally Posted by BenMcr (Post 35813697)
Virgin's PVRs retain some functionality if the cable is disconnected - as long they are left powered on.

They work like that so if they're is an area or cable fault, you can continue to access your recordings until it's fixed.

However if the boxes are turned off, then they require an active subscription and connection in place during start up, otherwise they won't work.

Not if it has been replaced with a tivo, a message appears saying your v+subscription has been deactivated

Maccgordon 04-07-2017 11:08

Yes, as per above posts, my V+ allowed me to play my recordings after disconnection until it was powered off by accident. Then it would not reboot fully. So over a month after Virgin discontinued the V+ and I disconnected mine, I reconnected it and that was enough to allow the reboot to finish, 101 to be displayed and my recordings to reappear. Lucky? I disconnected it straight away and will now renew my attempts to copy the recordings off before the next accidental power off.

nodrogd 06-07-2017 23:03

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccgordon (Post 35906115)
Yes, as per above posts, my V+ allowed me to play my recordings after disconnection until it was powered off by accident. Then it would not reboot fully. So over a month after Virgin discontinued the V+ and I disconnected mine, I reconnected it and that was enough to allow the reboot to finish, 101 to be displayed and my recordings to reappear. Lucky? I disconnected it straight away and will now renew my attempts to copy the recordings off before the next accidental power off.

101 will work as the channel is one of only a few that are unencrypted & don't need a valid viewing card. As to whether your recordings will play, if the viewing card has been wiped off the system I doubt it.

Maccgordon 07-07-2017 01:04

I can confirm that AFC and BenMcr are correct in saying that recordings will still play when the V+ is disconnected by removing its cable. The recordings are stored locally on the V+

RichardCoulter 08-07-2017 18:25

Are recordings also stored locally with the TiVo/V6?

bubblegun 09-07-2017 10:55

FYI, This thread is quite old (~18 Months) and "AFC" never replied.

You should always watch the old recordings before you upgrade on any TV service as you are unlikely to be able to get them back.