Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Virgin Media Installation Issues (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=62)
-   -   Unable to connect (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704188)

Gary1967 24-12-2016 14:35

Unable to connect

Hi all I am seeking some advice ,

I have just moved my TiVo box and router from one side of the room to another , I purchased a standard satalite cable which I have attached to my virgin box on the wall and ran the cable behind the skirting board

When I connect my router on its own , it works correctly , as soon as I plug in the spliter and connect the router and attached by a cable one end to the splinter the other to the router it stops working (. No blue arrow)

I have bought a new splinter box this morning think that might be the fault and I have also bought new cabelsv( f type) thinking it might be that , but still nothing

If I revert to just plugging the router direct to the main cable it connects , Any ideas

vm_tech 24-12-2016 15:52

Re: Unable to connect

Your new cable and splitter probably isn't up to VM spec and causing signal issues. Was my pet hate as a service tech people using their own cabling etc, and when I was a network engineer it was just as bad because it would send noise out to the neteork

Gary1967 24-12-2016 15:57

Can you recommend what cable I should get etc please and where from ?

spiderplant 24-12-2016 15:57

Either the cable you bought is the wrong type, or your signal level isn't high enough to get through the extra length. Get Virgin Media out to do it, and they'll make sure the right parts are used and the signal level is correct.

ps. Welcome to the forum!

Gary1967 24-12-2016 15:58

The cable was pre made 10 meter length and was bought from maplins

vm_tech 24-12-2016 16:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gary1967 (Post 35877554)
Can you recommend what cable I should get etc please and where from ?

RG6, Virgin Media

Glesga 24-12-2016 20:46

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35877568)
RG6, Virgin Media

The cost of £99 call out charge is reasonable considering its a no hassle move. The cost of buying various cables etc and the time taken to do it is a complete waste.

Why do people insist on moving virgin equipment but wont consider moving sky dish?

weesteev 28-12-2016 19:58

By the sounds of it, its a signal level issue. You may already have been borderline with your current cabling setup so perhaps a powered HDU setup is required. I could only ever recommend a VM engineer carry out any work here. Please try and avoid using satellite cable as it generally is not up to the standard required and causes ingress into the Virgin Media network, causing issues for you and your neighbours.

heero_yuy 29-12-2016 10:23

It's usually a good plan to jot down the signal levels from the diagnostic pages in the TIVO and hub and recheck them after moving equipment as any reduction of signal outside the specification required by the devices will impact the service. As stated above you MUST use cable that is to/exceed VMs specification: Triple shielded and low loss e.g. Webro HD 100 with good quality connectors and then only short distances.

vm_tech 29-12-2016 11:30

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35878231)
It's usually a good plan to jot down the signal levels from the diagnostic pages in the TIVO and hub and recheck them after moving equipment as any reduction of signal outside the specification required by the devices will impact the service. As stated above you MUST use cable that is to/exceed VMs specification: Triple shielded and low loss e.g. Webro HD 100 with good quality connectors and then only short distances.

I haven't looked in the diagnostics page on a STB for years, but I believe it doesn't show signal levels. The signal level isn't the be all and end all, the quality is much more important, the signal levels could be out of spec but as long as there are no errors coming through, it should be alright

heero_yuy 29-12-2016 11:56

Quote:

Originally Posted by vm_tech (Post 35878243)
I haven't looked in the diagnostics page on a STB for years, but I believe it doesn't show signal levels. The signal level isn't the be all and end all, the quality is much more important, the signal levels could be out of spec but as long as there are no errors coming through, it should be alright

IIRC on tech stuff page 2 our VHD box shows the return dbmv and the AGC level but not the downstream level directly.