Cable Forum

Cable Forum (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/index.php)
-   Lifestyle (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   New drivers caught using phones to lose licence (https://www.cableforum.uk/board/showthread.php?t=33704551)

Hom3r 01-03-2017 18:52

New drivers caught using phones to lose licence

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39118523

Personally if you are caught holding the phone it should:

A mandatory 12 points

Mandatory £2,000 fine

Mandatory made to take all 3 tests.

My phone has a great Car Mode.

All Texts and Calls are voice activated (I should add I only do this if really needed, and then when driving straight and not performing turns etc.).

My SatNav in the phone (and TomTom) are again voice controlled.

I can even tell it what music to play.

But I found a new feature, I had to pick my mum up from the Hospital and called her at the hospital and we saw each other and she hung up.

But I got a voice messaged telling me that a Video call had been rejected, my mum also got a auto text message telling her I was driving and can't take a video call.

Paul 01-03-2017 18:57

Re: New drivers caught using phones to lose licence

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hom3r (Post 35888038)
Personally if you are caught hold the phone it should:

A mandatory 12 points

Mandatory £2,000 fine

Mandatory made to take all 3 tests.

Why ?

(Personally, those are ridiculous)

denphone 01-03-2017 19:02

The OP post is OTT in my opinion and the sad thing is even with tougher rules coming into force today l have no doubt a considerable minority of arrogant . selfish l do what l want motorists will just ignore it totally l am afraid as the enforcement of these new rules will be weak and these motorists bloody well know that so will continue to do it unabated.

heero_yuy 01-03-2017 19:13

Given that tests have shown that using a mobile at the wheel is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel the same penalties should apply: Immediate ban, big fine and retest. I would add compulsory, professional wiping of said phone.

The last being the major deterrent. However enforcement is an issue.

denphone 01-03-2017 19:16

Quote:

Originally Posted by heero_yuy (Post 35888050)
Given that tests have shown that using a mobile at the wheel is as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel the same penalties should apply: Immediate ban, big fine and retest. I would add compulsory, professional wiping of said phone.

The last being the major deterrent. However enforcement is an issue.

Enforcement will be non existent Heero sadly as l think most of us know.

Hom3r 01-03-2017 19:22

Yesterday I was in lane 1 on the M11 nothing in front of me for about a mile.

This muppets was doing 60 in lane 2 and drifting between 2 & 1, I overtake him to see him looking down to his lap, clearly on a phone. It's a shame the police where distracted by a smash on the other-side of the motorway that closed it.

I see this everyday people holding phone and ofhen in the middle lane.

---------- Post added at 19:22 ---------- Previous post was at 19:18 ----------

Not that I ever would, but I believe I could hold my phone in my hand on the M11 while in the middle lane and never been seen by police.

So 6 points and £200 is nothing, about a days wages.

£2,000 on the other hand will seriously dent the wallet.

Damien 01-03-2017 20:37

What's the law if it's in a car holder and you have Google Maps on it or other, simple, button's to change music track etc. Like Automate on Android?

Ramrod 01-03-2017 21:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damien (Post 35888071)
What's the law if it's in a car holder and you have Google Maps on it or other, simple, button's to change music track etc. Like Automate on Android?

That's what I'm wondering. What is the definition of 'using a mobile phone in the car'?

Julian 01-03-2017 23:13

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ramrod (Post 35888083)
That's what I'm wondering. What is the definition of 'using a mobile phone in the car'?

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/surr...ained-12668731

Mr K 02-03-2017 17:47

Why just 'new' drivers to lose their licence, the same should apply to everybody?

It's the so called professional tradesman that seem to do it most. White van man is constantly on the phone. Those driving HGVs should be sent to prison, never mind a fine. Even when they get 12 points a lot of these escape a ban claiming 'hardship'.
http://www.roadsafetygb.org.uk/news/1861.html

All pointless if it isn't enforced though, and as we keep cutting traffic cop numbers, it rarely will be. Confiscating and destroying their mobiles might be a greater deterrent.

dilli-theclaw 02-03-2017 17:50

I've seen every single ambulance driver that takes me to/from dialysis fiddling with their work mobile while driving at some point.

heero_yuy 02-03-2017 17:53

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr K (Post 35888199)
Confiscating and destroying their mobiles might be a greater deterrent.

:D

denphone 02-03-2017 18:22

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilli-theclaw (Post 35888200)
I've seen every single ambulance driver that takes me to/from dialysis fiddling with their work mobile while driving at some point.

And they are supposed to be in a position of great responsibility.:(

tweetiepooh 03-03-2017 10:31

You can be "done" doing anything while driving that distracts you from driving, that could include using a hand free. My old satnav had a safe mode so you could play while in motion, the new TomTom doesn't - a bad design.

There is one case you can drive and dial and that's to call emergency when it would be unsafe to stop. That likely means you aren't on some bendy road though.

The issue with new drivers losing license is that they are only allowed 6 points compared to the 12 for more experienced (though not necessarily better).

Personally I keep my mobile in my laptop bag on back seat or in boot if I have that with me. It can pair with satnav for calls but I'll ignore unless I think I need to reply and then I'll keep it short and tell caller I can't talk. Quality would likely put them off anyway.